Rear shock

Beno

Registered
I just bought a 08 busa and I'm built like Danny Devito lol ..the guy i bought it from was taller and smaller ...so I lowered the bike to fit my height and ripped off my taillight..the bike is stretched and the rear wheel is sitting under the light ...can I tighten up the rear shock to the point where I don't get any bounce at all

20191023_201742.jpg

WoW! That's a mess you have there. There is a reason a bike has suspension, you need it for both performance and safety. That setup looks useless and possibly dangerous for anything but a drag strip. To fix that without pulling the wheel forward would require a special design specific shock setup. God forbid you have a passenger on that rig! Personally, IMHO you will enjoy the more with a street rational stretch.

Welcome. You could put a strut on it and have no suspension travel, but for a street bike that's not ideal. Either pull the arm back in or find an extended tail are my suggestions.
Which strut do you recommend...because that's what I'm looking for something that will lock in place....I will be using the bike for both track and street

WoW! That's a mess you have there. There is a reason a bike has suspension, you need it for both performance and safety. That setup looks useless and possibly dangerous for anything but a drag strip. To fix that without pulling the wheel forward would require a special design specific shock setup. God forbid you have a passenger on that rig! Personally, IMHO you will enjoy the more with a street rational stretch.
I will be using the bike for both track and street

Which strut do you recommend...because that's what I'm looking for something that will lock in place....I will be using the bike for both track and street
I don't recommend a strut at all for anything other than a car tire chassis. If you plan on street and track, buy a drag shock. There are several choices, I'm sure @busakiller and @Dennis will share their experiences, and there are the major players as well. Penske, Ohlins, JRI, etc.

Hard tailing it that with that long extended swing arm to ride on the street sounds like a death wish. Completely useless for track use too. Seems like drag strip use would benefit from some sort or rear suspension too. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

You can get a stiffer spring installed on the shock. That will help with some of your problems. But I would get a longer tail if I was you. I’m not a fan of the long swingarm and stock tails with the tire just hanging out. Asking for problems and poop flying up. Get a longer tail and shock set up for you bike and weight. When you go longer arm you have to get a stiffer spring. M2 makes a great shock and they’re on record setting bikes. But before you buy a shock you really need to sit down and decide what you end goal is with the bike. That way you can spend you money more wisely. Best of luck. Post some time slips in the time slip thread.

You can get a stiffer spring installed on the shock. That will help with some of your problems. But I would get a longer tail if I was you. I’m not a fan of the long swingarm and stock tails with the tire just hanging out. Asking for problems and poop flying up. Get a longer tail and shock set up for you bike and weight. When you go longer arm you have to get a stiffer spring. M2 makes a great shock and they’re on record setting bikes. But before you buy a shock you really need to sit down and decide what you end goal is with the bike. That way you can spend you money more wisely. Best of luck. Post some time slips in the time slip thread.
Yep. This says it all.

I'm searching for a spanner wrench so I can stiffen up the original shock and see wat happens
Ever jump on a trampoline??? Too much tightening and that's what the rear is gonna feel like and obviously that's not ideal and rather unsafe. I think only way to fix it properly is the options already given. Either shock, extended tail or shorter arm and if the last 2 choices would probably still benefit from the shock as well. I personally don't like the arm that long but ti each their own but you could go a little shorter and the issue not be as bad.

Ever jump on a trampoline??? Too much tightening and that's what the rear is gonna feel like and obviously that's not ideal and rather unsafe. I think only way to fix it properly is the options already given. Either shock, extended tail or shorter arm and if the last 2 choices would probably still benefit from the shock as well. I personally don't like the arm that long but ti each their own but you could go a little shorter and the issue not be as bad.
I like the swing arm ..that's why I bought the bike so it's staying ...I'm just looking for a solution to the bouncing

I like the swing arm . . .

That is why
I bought the bike
so it is staying . . .

I am just looking
for a solution to
the bouncing .

:race:

#BuyTheRightShock ~ #GetAnExtendedTail ~ #SlickAndBar ~ #THEoRg *

Last edited:
I like the swing arm ..that's why I bought the bike so it's staying ...I'm just looking for a solution to the bouncing
Aftermarket shock built to your specs and adjusted correctly will solve the issue. There is no cheap fix unfortunately.
The only "Solution" to the bouncing is to get rid of that swingarm.
Period.
That's not true. A properly set up aftermarket shock will eliminate the bounce, and a longer tail will move the light out of harm's way.
No amount of adjusting the stock shock will solve the issue, it is not mechanically capable of dealing with the forces that the length of the swingarm is exerting on it.

Back