Rear Shock upgrade suggestions (Did a search already)

TallTom

Registered
Rear OEM Shock upgrade suggestions (Did a search already)

Hey I am thinking about a rear shock upgrade. Here is what I'd like to consider. Upgrades to the exisiting rear OEM shock by revalving, re-springing, oil choices etc. etc.

I am in Fla so I am not like carving the twisties very often. I did notice when I went to the dragon that when I rode 2 up, it bottomed out pretty easily, even though I am set-up to the max load settings.

I am 245ish by myself. Then I gear up and have touring gear loaded I get to 300lbs easy. Then add a 2nd rider and it easily goes over max weight loads.

So while I'm not looking to do track days or GP circuits, I think I have practical reasons to upgrade what I can at a price I can afford.

What recommendations can you guys offer?

I have never rebuilt a shock from a bike, howevr I have for cars and I am understanding of the mechanical idea and am pretty mechanically inclined so I don't mind a DIY approach if that is practical without all sorts of specal tools etc.

As usual, I will thank you guys ahead of time for helping to steer me to a direction that works best.

Any board sponsers that can address this as well?

If I shoud be posting in the mods section tell me which section as I can't find much that addresses upgrades to OEM anywhere in the first place.

Last edited:
You may hit up HPC for a rebuild of you stocker, they have done a couple for me and are great to deal with and a sponsor.

I am with Rodney... not much point in blowing $1400 on the rear suspension for your riding.. re-spring and re-valve should do wonders for you.. I would love to even have that much done to mine.. just not in the budget yet for the year..

I would start by just replacing the coil spring. That'll be the cheapest route. See how you like it and go from there.

Thanks you so far for the thus far information. Zuk...thank you for the post link. Helpful

Commuta....How would I go about establishing my spring rate and where to get the replacement.

call race tech, or traxxion, or LE suspension, or any of the other suspension shops. They'll know what the OE rate is and based on your requiremnets can get you the correct spring rate. You can do the install yourself. :beerchug:

If you have not done so already, you might as well balence both ends and put the correct rate springs in the forks as well.

cheers
ken

TallTom, How often do you ride two-up on curvey roads to warrant the expense of rear suspension modification or replacement? Just my two cents.

I bought a "like new" 2300 miles 08 shock for my 04. Better valving,spring. $25.00 on ebay. Came off a wrecked bike.. from a dealer.

DREW: That shock is stock for the 08 (better version of the Gen I shock) and is a direct bolt on to the Gen Is?

Last edited:
Big Red. At 245 before gearing up, it doesn't take much for me to start pushing that rear spring rate. But yes I 2 up pretty regualry. But no not very cuvey here in Fla. But we have our potholes and crappy bumpy roads that add to the shock absorption issues.

At your weight and the periodic loading you mentioned a good suspension shop would most likely recommend a new spring and a bit more compression damping over stock as a starting point. Traxxion is a reputable place as mentioned and they are pretty close to you. Give em a call and they can probably make some educated recommendations. Like KML said though get your fork spring done at the same time though and youll really love the outcome! :beerchug:

DREW: That shock is stock for the 08 (better version of the Gen I shock) and is a direct bolt on to the Gen Is?

Bolts right up and is better than Gen I shock. traxion was going to be my 1st choice till I found this on Ebay.

300 pounds of rider is going to over whelm your stock suspension, front and rear.

Here is the skinny on how this works. If you ride your bike solo with rider weight at 300 lbs. I'd recommend you upgrade your suspension on both ends. Now you are all set up with quality Ohlins suspension and your bike rides like a dream. Then you add a 150 lb passenger and once again your suspension is overwhelmed.

Now you must make a decision on whether you want solo suspension or two up suspension. Whichever way you choose, whether it's solo or two up, the suspension is not going to be happy with the other! It's your choice as to which way you want the suspension tuned.

If you want the best bang for the buck, tune you suspension someplace in the middle between solo and two up. I would highly recommed the Ohlins rear shock have a hydraulic preload adjuster. This makes the switch between two up and solo a piece of cake.

Although there are lots of choices, IMO Ohlins is the best money will buy. Although it is expensive, it's not that much more expensive than the competitors. Generally, you get what you pay for.

Suspension upgrades is by far the best improvement you can make to your bike.

+1 on Race Tech. Do the front and rear.

--Wag--

Back