rear shock removal

bigtwan25

Registered
does any one have any pic or video on how to to remove the complete rear shock i what get the spring upgraded and revalved but im not sure how to get it off so i can send it in :thumbsup:

Got a question for you all. I'm fiddling with raising links right now and it's a good time to replace all of the rear suspension bolts with the SAE Outlaw Performance Titaneum bolt kit I purchased a couple years back.

My question is, does it matter if a suspension bolt is broken loose after some of the other suspension bolts have been completely removed? Seems like the cushion lever would be cocked awful hard if the lower shock absorber bolt were broken free with the cushion rods not being bolted firmly in place. Same goes for the front cushion lever bolt where it goes through the frame. Also the top rear shock bolt, if the shock is just hanging there, seems like its going to cock very hard against the bearings under all the torque required to break that bolt free. Would it be best assemble the entire rear suspension before I break the other bolts free?

Thanks, I'll be checking and I'll reply of course.

Regarding the preceding comment, here's a photo to illustrate what I'm talking about. Would you start wrenching on those cushion lever bolts with the cushion rods removed?

tie.rod.rmvl.wrench .setup.busa.jpg

Checking back. What do you say about removing all rear suspension bolts? Break all nuts free first so the parts are stabilized against one another? ...or it's ok wrench on the cushion lever bolts even if the cushion rods are completely removed.

The service manual explains a few rear suspension procedures such as rear shock removal, cushion lever removal, cushion rod and swing arm removal...there doesn't seem to be a particular order of removing the bolts that applies to all of them. After having a look at my bike, it appears there's no way you'd get a socket on the lower rear shock mount without first clearing the lower end of the cushion rods. ...so I'm going to go with "NO" it doesn't really matter if any of the rear suspension bolts are wrenched upon without being supported by all of the other bolts and parts of the rear suspension. Apparently, there's no harm that will come to the bearings when the parts twist from wrenching.

Now that I think about it, I replaced the rear shock on my Kawi and I had the same question. Like the busa, it was impossible to wrench that lower shock bolt without removing the lower cushion rod bolt and clearing the cushion rods out of the way.

As it turns out, I will have to remove the whole exhaust up to the headers if I want to get a wrench on the front cushion lever nut. I'm calling it quits on the project for now. I'm just putting the bike back together as/OEM, packing it up and heading to Michigan. I'll finish this once I get settled there. I have an illustrated write up in progress and I'll post it when I'm finished.

You have to be real careful removing the shock from the swingarm mount, that white aluminum doesn't like too much torque on it...we've seen a few that have broken of late for whatever reason..

I loosen these large bolts when they are still attached....I took the rear shock off my bike a few years ago to replace it and the process wasn't too daunting...

I was really careful to not overstress any of the mounts though...

Back