Rear Shock Rebuilds

Kiwi Rider

Registered
Hey everyone,
I'm wanting to start a shock rebuild service and wondering if any of you guys know of a suspension parts supplier that is online or happy to ship overseas.
I contacted https://www.hygearsuspension.com/ and they wanted pics of the stripped shock and measurements etc to be able to match up parts.
I was hoping for a listing of all rebuild kits and their applications. No luck so far.
Here in NZ the options are very limited and I just can not find out who the local shock rebuilders are scoring their parts from.
There are only a few shock rebuilders here in the south island, and they charge through the roof! Like $350 on average.
I want to do it as a sideline income at home in my garage in the evenings.
So if any of you knowledgeable fantasticly wonderful motorcycle lovers out there know or can help, sure would appreciate it! :beerchug:

I know the $$$ seems very high . However lets keep in mind the cost of tooling . Many shocks , and forks require special tools that are not cheap to buy , or fashion home made . As even homemade tools require TIME = money . K and L is a supplier , but requires a store front photo / business license . I also not sure if they operate in your country . Nitrogen bottle / regulator , and a fill kit are next .
Don't let me discourage your possible business venture I just want to inform you of why they price seems so high . A new XYZ brand good shock is typically 500 to 2500 bucks application dependent. $350 to rebuild a $500 shock = ouch buy a new unit . $350 to rebuild a 2500 Ohlins TTX or the like is on par .

I know the $$$ seems very high . However lets keep in mind the cost of tooling . Many shocks , and forks require special tools that are not cheap to buy , or fashion home made . As even homemade tools require TIME = money . K and L is a supplier , but requires a store front photo / business license . I also not sure if they operate in your country . Nitrogen bottle / regulator , and a fill kit are next .
Don't let me discourage your possible business venture I just want to inform you of why they price seems so high . A new XYZ brand good shock is typically 500 to 2500 bucks application dependent. $350 to rebuild a $500 shock = ouch buy a new unit . $350 to rebuild a 2500 Ohlins TTX or the like is on par .
I’m with C10 on this. Not only that, but I bought an ohlins shock for my DR650 that was “old new” inventory and I wanted to service it just to be safe. I looked up some YouTube videos and after seeing the work involved, the amount of parts and talking to the friendly ohlin’s rep. I quickly decided to try it first and see how it felt. So far so good, but I know the day will come where I would have to rebuild it and I will cry. That being said, I would love to do something like you are wanting to do on the side and make some cash, so good luck on your business venture.

Cost me NZD $230 for a service on my Busa Nitron shock from KSS, including return freight. Not to unreasonable imho.

Has anyone used a Progressive suspension shock? Their 465 series looks good and is about $500. My 82 CBX had the mono shock setup but with an airbag that of course, looses air after awhile. Switched to a Pro unit and after 40,000 miles or so it gave out. Sent it to them for a rebuild and even after several years of service and 40,000+ miles they rebuilt it and sent it back all for free! Great service.

https://www.progressivesuspension.com/product/1431/465-series-shock-long-swingarm

Anyone ever installed a Gold Valve kit in a Shock? Hard to find any decent sportbike videos or anything other than Dirt Bike stuff and most of those are dudes literally gushing pints of shock oil all over the place. :crazy:
Am contemplating sending mine to Race Tech and have them rebuild/respring and revalve it. Not sure whats the best path though? Send them my stocker or buy a low mile Gen 2 shock and have it done. Would likely have to abandon my raising links to do the latter but that's no big deal.

Anyone ever installed a Gold Valve kit in a Shock? Hard to find any decent sportbike videos or anything other than Dirt Bike stuff and most of those are dudes literally gushing pints of shock oil all over the place. :crazy:
Am contemplating sending mine to Race Tech and have them rebuild/respring and revalve it. Not sure whats the best path though? Send them my stocker or buy a low mile Gen 2 shock and have it done. Would likely have to abandon my raising links to do the latter but that's no big deal.
I had my rear shock revalved. When they put it on their shock dyno-before and after they found the compression circuit/clicker does nothing whatsoever! At that stage I went for the Nitron. Good upgrade.

Back