Rear Reflectors

T-Rav

Registered
I'm trying to remove my rear reflectors. I took off the fonts with no problem. I went to take off the backs and was able to get one screw out of each reflector but the other just spins freely. Any suggestions. Thanks and Be Better Than Blessed.

You need to be able to hold the nut on the back side of it. Not easy but I ended up taking the tail section off. Only took a few minutes and was able to get the nuts out of the under tray.

Now is a good time to learn how to take tail section off. You actually jus tneed to loosen it to remove nuts. DON'T forget to re-attach the cable for lock before putting hump or seat back on!
thumb_up.gif

You can even use the shop manual here for first time. I suggest downloading it. Doesn't this place rock?
thumb_up.gif

You don't need to take the tail off, just loosen it enough to get to the nuts. Here's how to do it.Take off both seats and look at which push pins and and bolts under there need to come out. Take off the mud flap-plate bracket (four bolts) There are little plastic round push pins that hold the black plastic undertail to the painted tail section. Push the very center of the push pin in with something small,skinny or pointy and then once the center is depressed you can grasp the push pin with your finger nails and remove them. Once these push pins, mud-flap and bolts, and a couple bolts under the passenger seat are removed the tail section should loosen up with a little persuasion enough to be able to get a wrench on the nuts on the back side of the reflectors. Oh yeah! The Frankenstein bolts need to come out too. Those are the ones you hook a bungee to. There is a tiny black plug in the tip of them that can be carefully popped out with a pocket knife or similar tool and then they are also removed with an allen wrench. Make sure that you find all the nuts, especially the ones that already came off on the first two screws that you already got out. The last thing you want is a missing nut all of a sudden reappearing at +100 mph and ending up falling out into your chain. When reinstalling the push pins the inner pin should first be extended outward then put in the hole and then push that center pin in flush to lock it in place. I even put the reflector screws and nuts back in the holes after I removed the brackets for a nice clean finished look. The bike also has larger push-pins else wear that have a center pin that needs to be pulled out to be removed but I'm pretty sure you'll just be dealing with the smaller ones for this job. Hope this helps and that I wasn't too specific but better to have too much info than not enough.

Try taking a flat head screwdriver and putting it behind the bolt and pry the bolt outwards while unscrewing it. Doesn't always work,but they arent locknuts on there so if they aren't grimmy you prob be gtg.

You don't need to take the tail off. You don't even need to loosen it. Just take the hump (or back seat) off, slide a wrench down on the nuts to hold them and remove the bolts. It's really not nearly as involved as the other guys made it sound. I took mine off in about 10 min. for all 4. Just use a magnet to get the nuts out if they fall. It is a little bit tricky to get the wrench on the bolts, but it's not too bad.

Okay enough complicated procedures..TAKE A HACK SAW...........................

Thanks everyone! I'll probably try a mixture of everyones idea before it's over.

Strife, I tried that one last night it didn't work. Thanks and Be Better Than Blessed.
thumb_up.gif

You don't need to take the tail off.  You don't even need to loosen it.  Just take the hump (or back seat) off, slide a wrench down on the nuts to hold them and remove the bolts.  It's really not nearly as involved as the other guys made it sound.  I took mine off in about 10 min. for all 4.  Just use a magnet to get the nuts out if they fall.  It is a little bit tricky to get the wrench on the bolts, but it's not too bad.
+1

You don't need to take the tail off.  You don't even need to loosen it.  Just take the hump (or back seat) off, slide a wrench down on the nuts to hold them and remove the bolts.  It's really not nearly as involved as the other guys made it sound.  I took mine off in about 10 min. for all 4.  Just use a magnet to get the nuts out if they fall.  It is a little bit tricky to get the wrench on the bolts, but it's not too bad.
+1

heck I just spun the beejeezus out of mine and they came off... smacked the plastic inner a few times and the nut fell out..

Back