rear fender trimming

The Oracle

Registered
I trimmed my rear fender today to give it a little more of a custom look. I will include some pics and tips associated with this mod in this topic post.

I think this is a gud mod, since it is free and easy. It only required about 45 minutes... And some of those minutes were because I was figuring out how to do some things.

This first pic is of the rear view before and after... Hopefully, you can guess which one is before and which one is yada, yada, yada.

01_rear_before_after.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I also removed the rear side reflectors while I was at it... This was one of the areas that took a hair longer than it should have. Because, once I removed the reflector screws, I realized that there were nuts on the other ends. I couldn't figure out how to remove the nutz without popping the rear plastic... I did not have to remove the whole unit, just loosen it up and reach in.

BTW - when removing the rear plastic, it took me a couple minutes to figure out how to remove the two tie-down thingies. I wanted to avoid scratching them with pliers or vice-grips. Finally, I figured out that the rubber tips pop out and expose hex wrench holes. DUR!!!

02_side_before_after.jpg

Next, I used masking tape to give me a general idea of where my baseline should be... I found that my sheet metal cutters went through the fender like butter.

Notice that the bottom of my cut leaves the plate base in place (it is a little round piece of rubber that sits against the bottom of the license plate). It will be hidden by the plate anyway, and it helps keep the tag tight.

BTW - I saw that my fender (2003) had a pre-built cutline for shortening the fender. But, it only shortens the fender about two inches... As you will see in the next picture, I cut off almost 4 inches so that the fender is still there but hidden by the license plate. This was the maximum amount of rubber removal that still left the bottom seat for the tag.

03_cut.jpg

After removing the bulk of the unwanted fender, I took the original bottom piece (which was now scrap) and used it to trace a curve with a razor blade. Then I used the sheet metal cutters to trim away bigger pieces, and moved on to the hack saw to trim it closer and neater. Finally, I used a file to bevel it a hair (like the original) and sandpaper to finish it off.

BTW - I had to remove the plate bracket so the original fender would fit as a template for the razor blade drawing... Also, when I re-attached the bracket, I was able to raise the tag about 1/8 inch... Not much, but you can see a c-hair of difference in the first before and after pic.

04_template.jpg

Here is the tail without the tag in place... I know the shape is not EXACT, but it is close and gets hidden by the tag.

05_finished.jpg

And, here it is with the tag in place... I think this mod gives the tail a custom look and yet retains the safety and stockness of the brake light and turn signals.

06_project_completed.jpg

Here are the tools that I used to complete this task... This does not include the 'busa tool bag tools; which I used to loosen the rear plastic for removal of the reflector. These pictures don't show it, but I also popped the front reflectors off.

Nice job, That is exactly what I have been looking for. I didn't want to jump into cutting her up until I saw a good step by step. Thanks
jump9.gif

Nice job, That is exactly what I have been looking for. I didn't want to jump into cutting her up until I saw a good step by step. Thanks
Thank you... And, I am glad my post helped someone...

Where in PA are you from? When our DC group that is forming rides up into Southern PA are you interested in tagging along? You prolly know some terrific areas for us... Chickies Rock (along the Susquehenna River), etc. If we camp up there, I will bring climbing gear and hit Chickies or other areas up your way.

Hmm I never thought about using sheet metal cutters for this, probably a lot easier to cut with than the hacksaw. I also removed the side reflectors on the back and realized there were nuts in there DOH!! i did the same thing, popped out the plastic rivets and loosened the plastic and reached in.

I am off to start hacking my way through that ugly ass fender. I dont remember who it was but they used the side reflectors brackets to mount new turn signals with. I may just have to do this mod as well since I think it would look clean.

Thanks for the info Ripley

Excellent how to Rip. I too have been waiting for some insight into how best to procede with the cutting. Did you use curved cutters or straight? Can't tell by the picture. I have left, right and straight so want to use the appropriate one. Good info on the reflectors. I will do those now at the same time. Thanks again..................

Hey Rip, lookin good dude.
I did mine last night too.
Took the entire fender off, remounted the plate to the undertail, and added some tiny lil flush mount clear blinkers.
I'll post pics tomorrow.

Excellent how to Rip. I too have been waiting for some insight into how best to procede with the cutting. Did you use curved cutters or straight? Can't tell by the picture. I have left, right and straight so want to use the appropriate one. Good info on the reflectors. I will do those now at the same time. Thanks again..................
sort of combo ones (but really they cut better towards the right)... I wish I had right and left ones. Would have made it even easier. Me going out and buying the kit that has all three in a handy little carrying case today!

Hmm I never thought about using sheet metal cutters for this, probably a lot easier to cut with than the hacksaw.  I also removed the side reflectors on the back and realized there were nuts in there DOH!!  i did the same thing, popped out the plastic rivets and loosened the plastic and reached in.  

I am off to start hacking my way through that ugly ass fender.  I dont remember who it was but they used the side reflectors brackets to mount new turn signals with.  I may just have to do this mod as well since I think it would look clean.  

Thanks for the info Ripley
Post pics bro! I can't wait to see your new signal mount!

Great info on the fender.
smile.gif
And I found those nuts from the reflectors easier to get out. I just tapped on the bottom of the plastic and they jumped around and found thier way towards the front of that piece where most fell out on the ground and one I had to put a magnet in the opening to get it.

Back