Rear fender cutting questions:

Mikesbaron

Registered
1st Generation and I want to lighten up and clean the rear fender area.

I'm going to cut the rear fender down to a minimum. But I'm looking on the sides and see where the plastic rivets are supposed to hold the bottom of the tail section to the inner fender. If I cut the inner fender to remove those rivet points (in the effort to slim and minimize the tail to the extreme) am I going to have any issues with the tail being unstable, cracking or flexing? Again, I'm trying to emulate the best I can, an actual undertail kit.

photo_2018-01-29_08-13-38 (2).jpg

photo_2018-01-29_08-13-38.jpg

Got most of the sub frame cut out under my carbon tail ~ it makes it pretty darn light in the tail end area *

IMG_0330.JPG

Where are your taillights?

This is fine for a one piece lightweight unit but I worry about the lower part of my two piece tail flexing.

I don't know if this of any help but I have had all the bolts out of the trunk area for years. Planned to replace them with plastic bolts but haven't gotten around to it yet. No problems. The tail fairings do droop back a tiny bit but no cracks. It has allowed the bottom of the tail fairing to touch one of my light bolts I have closely mounted to the tail fairing. A tiny bit of paint damage. Guess I better look into those plastic bolts. I do use the plastic rivets but I am pretty sure I lost one once and no damage. If that was meant to support the fairings, I think they'ed have used a screw.

Back