Rear cush drive damper question

Blkoutbusa

Registered
How can you tell when the stock ones are bad? 2012 with 15k miles. When I had the wheel off the bike, there was a decent amount of play when rotating the sprocket carrier, but now that I have the wheel back in the swingarm, there seems to be little to no play.

Not sure how to gauge there health, so to speak

I would just look for degradation or ruptures in the rubber, it's not scientific. A lot of people just replace them with stiffer ones anyway. Chances are if they feel solid with the wheel back on there are ok. Never heard of a failure with the wheel installed.

Years ago I had a gsxr-750 and it had a high speed vibration. Replaced cush drive and felt like new. It was like an intense buzziness thru the whole bike.

My sprocket carrier has always just flopped right out when I take the wheel off. I should look into a set of aftermarket cush drive rubbers.

That retainer as it is called doesn't retain anything, really. It's more of a collar/spacer. I'm pretty sure I have all my parts but the sprocket carrier was very loose the first time I changed tires (at about 9000 miles). I must have been riding the busa hard and put some wear on them. Tire change before this season. I'm going to get replacement cush drive rubbers. Thanks, RedBull.
nstl.Rsprkt2.mntng.drum.jpg
nstl.rtnr2Rsprkt.mntng.drum.jpg

Last edited:
Haha--riding the busa hard and changed tires at 9000 miles!!! I know! They were toast! My Supercorsas lasted 2000 miles which is more typical.

Back