Rear Car Tire Conversion

Troymx576

Registered
Hello,
I am starting a new project vehicle and need a little help and ideas. I am making a 3 wheel vehicle, like the T-Rex, except it will look like a Lemans prototype, only difference is one wheel out back. I have been pondering this for a few years and I am finally starting on it. My main question is there an easy way to convert the rear tire on a Busa to a car tire. I am looking at putting on a size of about 305/30/18 or 335/30/18. I plan on making a custom rear swingarm.

My thoughts right now are to make a custom rear swingarm and use a car rim with the tire on that. Then I could make a custom hub system. If I did this I might also use a car type caliper and rotor. This is going to be one of the more time consuming parts of the mechanicals so I was looking for an easier solution, if there is one out there.

Thanks for the help,
Troy

View attachment 1390327
257.jpg

I would try to help you but im drunk. Only reason i found enough strength to post is cause of the 1st post.

You can probably buy the bike wheel from an aftermarket supplier or have the stock wheel widened & go up 1" in diameter. Suggest contacting Kosman wheel. They converted a 17x6 to a 18X8.5 for my Warrior.

Don't know why you would want a car rotor on the rear they are really heavy. suggest using a larger diameter bike rotor & a caliper from the front brakes off some bike like a 4 piston or 6 piston.

Is this going to look like the can am bike?

Link to can am bike
http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/automotive_news/4212570.html

Churchkey,
Thank you for the mature response and information, I was wondering if I was going to get one. That is just what I am looking for and this will help me out a lot and save me time. It will look more like a T-rex concept than the Can-am one. I like the lines of the Porsche LMP2, just with one wheel in the back so it will taper in. Since I will use the stock type rear wheel setup I will look at the front calipers and may convert them to the rear rotor for added clamping force.
Thanks again for the help,
Troy

porscheLMP2.jpg

Kool concept/project, I'm partial to the Mclarens.

Glad your not doing a bomb cam am copy, I threw a leg over one & it felt like I was on my snowmobile or ATV.

I build & have built a lot of one off stuff for both myself & customers. Street, straight line & super late oval cars. If you need a source for trick tube front clips, tubular a arms, coil over shocks, brakes etc or have ?? about steering, cg heights, roll centers, bump steer etc shoot me a PM.

Edit: Thinking about your brakes you will need an emergency brake for parking. There was a system designed for street rods that used a small diameter/thin rotor mounted on the companion flange of the rear end & it had a small mechanically activated caliper. That caliper might work with your rear rotor set up if you go with a bike rotor. I'll see if I can find the info for you.

Back