Rear brakes

pcosho

Registered
I just finished installing my wheels (got new shoes) and noticed that my rear brakes are shot so here is my question. Is there a special tool needed to colapse the pistons on the rear caliper? If someone could give me a quick heads up I would really appreciate it. THANKS:beerchug:

No special tool that I'm aware of; I use a small "C" clamp to compress and some hard rubber strips (On the clamp's surfaces) to protect the caliper from damage...Some others will chime in with their favorite procedure I'm sure....

No special tool that I'm aware of; I use a small "C" clamp to compress and some hard rubber strips (On the clamp's surfaces) to protect the caliper from damage...Some others will chime in with their favorite procedure I'm sure....

Exactly! I just keep the old pad on there to protect the caliper. You're throwing it away anyway.

Exactly! I just keep the old pad on there to protect the caliper. You're throwing it away anyway.

Yep, then I take a boxed end wrench and work the pads apart retracting the pistons....... easy.

I neve use the back brakes anyway, should just chunck'um :laugh:

I use one of these.
You can depress the pistons and re-use the pads if you need to.
I think you can get them at Harbor Freight.
Works on front also.

893a_1.jpg

Last edited:
I leave the old pads in, then use a 2 screwdrivers to push the pots back. Oh, and you will either need a bleeder screw popped, or the res cover off so that you can push the fluid.

Then when done and the old pads are chewed up, toss them and install new...done.

If having trouble getting the caliber off the disk you can nudge the pads with a screwdriver between the pad and disc. Then use a C-clamp to compress the pistons in. Clamps are cheap to buy.

If you are using the brakes, then you aren't riding right. :poke: J/K
I haven't done my back one yet, but I just did my fronts. I was able to push them in with my fingers. They aren't as stiff as a car caliper.

Back