Rear brake stopped working

Jgarcia6988

Registered
Hello all

So I was going downhill and I was using my rear brake the whole time going down. It’s like there was no pressure at all and pads not moving at all. I guess your not supposed to use your rear going downhill.

I was told that there is air in the lines ?
the master cylinder needs replacing?

I honestly no idea what it could be..
anyone have this same issue
Thank you

Hello all

So I was going downhill and I was using my rear brake the whole time going down. It’s like there was no pressure at all and pads not moving at all. I guess your not supposed to use your rear going downhill.

Thank you
I was actually going down the mountain lol .. and when I got Almost to the end just stopped working

Hello all

Thank you

Brakes, any brake will fade during extended use. If you were pressing on the rear brake continuously for a long time (down a hill doesn’t matter) you will overheat the rotor and glaze the pads making them useless. Use your gearing for deceleration and brakes for stopping. Now, replace your pads with EBC HH sintered pads and bleed them with a new can of brake fluid. Only then will you know if the MC needs replacing. If not, your brakes will work much better.

Oh, fill in your profile. Where are you? :D

Brakes, any brake will fade during extended use. If you were pressing on the rear brake continuously for a long time (down a hill doesn’t matter) you will overheat the rotor and glaze the pads making them useless. Use your gearing for deceleration and brakes for stopping. Now, replace your pads with EBC HH sintered pads and bleed them with a new can of brake fluid. Only then will you know if the MC needs replacing. If not, your brakes will work much better.

I’ll do that now lol

shouldn’t I replace the MC first ? Or bleed first ? Is it something I can myself you think ?

I’ll do that now lol

shouldn’t I replace the MC first ? Or bleed first ? Is it something I can myself you think ?

Not the time to replace the MC unless its busted so yes, bleed them. Only then will you know if the MC is busted. Unless you have and know how to use a speed bleeder by yourself, have a mechanic do it. Wouldn’t take 15 minutes.

Good advice. If you boiled your brake fluid, the brake should come back when it cools down though, shouldn't it? Road racers have brake fade but I thought the brakes come back as they cool.

Go check if the rear brake is back.

If the fluid got really hot, it seems possible it might have overflowed the reservoir under the seat. Wash the fluid off imediately if you find any, it will eat through paint and etch ABS plastic.

Check the rear brake reservoir.

You can fill the reservoir. Check if it's low.

If it's empty, you might have air in the system and the only thing you can do is bleed it. The first time I bled brakes, it was confusing but I got the hang of it. You can't screw up your brake by bleeding. If you mess up and suck more air in you just keep bleeding until you get the knack of it. Ask questions here if your not sure about something. It is very obvious if you are doing it right or wrong by how the pedal feels while you are bleeding. Out of rear brake, front brake and clutch, the rear brake is the easiest to bleed. Good way to start practicing.

If bleeding doesn't bring the pressure back, then I guess you would look at replacing the MC. You should start to feel the pressure come back almost immediately when you bleed.

You do not need to close the bleeder valve TIGHT when you are bleeeding. Just snug is adequate. No sense to wear those threads. When you are done, tighten it and torque it. Inspect for leakage from the bleed valve after every ride and wash it off with water. If you really need to, tighten the valve a touch more but DON'T strip those threads. It often takes a while but the fluid will usually stop weeping frm the bleed valve without tightening beyond the specced torque. The thread stripping is the only thing you might mess up. The rest isn't too bad.

Give it a try if you feel up to it. Steps 13~21 here:

Back