Rear brake questions

johnnycrash

Donating Member
Registered
6800 miles and I've worn out two sets of rear pads.  The stockers lasted only 3k so I bought a Galfer wave rotor, Galfer pads, and a Galfer steel line.  Last night as I pulled in I noticed I've completely worn these out, too.  So bad that I didn't even ride it in to work today.

Two questions:
1)  is this amount of wear normal? - I swear I'm not dragging the brakes and the rear wheel spins easily when on the stand.  

2)  Galfer says you MUST use Galfer pads on their wave rotor.  Is this gospel or marketing?  I have a ride planned tomorrow - my stealer has OEM pads in stock but not Galfers - I couldn't get those till Tuesday probably.

Sorry if this is a repeat newb question - did a search on this but didn't find much.

You should be using the fronts for most of your stopping, and the rear for slow speed turning and holding still. My rear still looks new and my fronts are getting due for some HH's.

I understand how to brake properly - I've got over 30k miles on sportbikes - although this thing is a total pig compared to what I've had in the past.

I barely use the rear and it's still wearing out. This is not a rider issue.

<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'></span>
6800 miles and I've worn out two sets of rear pads.  The stockers lasted only 3k so I bought a Galfer wave rotor, Galfer pads, and a Galfer steel line.  Last night as I pulled in I noticed I've completely worn these out, too.  So bad that I didn't even ride it in to work today.

Two questions:
1)  is this amount of wear normal? - I swear I'm not dragging the brakes and the rear wheel spins easily when on the stand.  

2)  Galfer says you MUST use Galfer pads on their wave rotor.  Is this gospel or marketing?  I have a ride planned tomorrow - my stealer has OEM pads in stock but not Galfers - I couldn't get those till Tuesday probably.

Sorry if this is a repeat newb question - did a search on this but didn't find much.
<span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:tomato'>What kinda wear do you have on tires? Use of the rear brake will go hand in hand with pad/tire wear! I also wear the rear pads out faster than say the person doing stoppies! My previous bike (Bandit 1200) never needed the front pads in 42k commuting miles, but rear pads (same as Busa) i replaced every other rear tire!!!  10k miles + - a few and i used the sintered pads that last the longest. Commuting will eat em up cause we use both or some times just the rear, (stop & go) where as the weekend canyon carver hardly ever touches the rear. I take it both pads are evenly worn? There is a problem for sure with?</span>
rock.gif
</span>

I'm moving this to General where more people will see it. I don't know about wave rotors but I had aobut 30000 miles on my stock rear brakes.

Back