Rear Brake Caliper/Pads - Scary Post - Need Help

HayabusaLTD

Registered
Okay scary story first...I was riding home from work yesterday morning and hit morning rush hour traffic when the interstate I was riding on came to a stand still through a construction zone. The cars in front of me came to a complete stop and I had no choice but to slam on my brakes. I went to apply my brakes and when I pushed the rear brake lever down it seemed to have no pressure and just went all the way down without slowing the rear wheel so I did the WTF panic and compressed the front brake lever hoping to get my busa stopped before it became inbedded in the back of a pickup truck. I got the bike stopped after using the shoulder of the road and passing 2 stopped cars in the process. I looked down and pushed the rear brake once again and it built pressure back up but still would not stop the rear wheel. I still had about 15 miles to my house so I just took it easy (even after meeting up with a fellow unknown busa owner that wanted to have some 100+MPH fun) I got home safe and looked down at my rear brake caliper and to my suprise the entire thing came off the brake disc due to the 2 bolts holding it on falling completley out.

Okay enough rambling...My question is now that I have my brake pads as tight as they can be up against each other how do I go about getting them apart? Bleeding the lines? I also need to replace the two bolts that hold the caliper up to the brake disk, what size are they and how long? Any help would my greatly appreciated!!! :please:

The only way to move the pads, at this point is try to wedge a screwdriver between them!

If you dont want to damage the pads at all open the bleeding screws.

As for the bolts, they are a 8mm by1.5 flange bolt, im not sure of the length, but ill measure 1 when i get home!

3255471649_large.jpg

The only way to move the pads, at this point is try to wedge a screwdriver between them!

If you dont want to damage the pads at all open the bleeding screws.

As for the bolts, they are a 8mm by1.5 flange bolt, im not sure of the length, but ill measure 1 when i get home!

Cool so if i just buy new rear pads (which wouldnt hurt probably) i can bypass bleeding the brakes and just pry the pads apart with a screw driver? Also where would i find a 8mm by1.5 flange bolt easier? Auto parts store or Lowes? Thanks!!!:bowdown:

Use a flat screwdriver to gently pry the pad back apart. Go slow so you don't damage the piston seals. You shouldn't damage the pads if you go slow.

Don't go prying on your brake pads, simply remove the pads and use something to push the pistons back into the calipers, I use a small C-clamp (1 1/2" I believe) available for a couple bucks at Home Depot. I also use small pieces of wood or plastic against the jaws to prevent any damage.

6b915d18-b774-4562-9a84-e12fc540d9b5_300.jpg

Don't forget to remove the fluid rez cover and watch the level as you compress the pistons back in so it does not over flow. If the fluid level is less than 3/8 inch in the rez when you first open it up, then you may already have air in the lines and will need to bleed them.

Red loctite, yes 4 sho. I still have not got my back side un puckered:lol:

If you use red loctite, heat has to be used to loosen the bolts.
Blue loctite does not require heat.
Properly torqued with blue loctite is all you need.
See your dealer for new factory bolts. You want the same grade and quality bolt something a hardware store may or may not have. Piece of mind is worth the extra cost and the wait (if they don't have them in stock).

Last edited:
Buy the bolts from a dealer/bike shop. Don't try and replace them with some lowes bolts. If you don't have a shop near you then just order them online from a vendor. Do what everyone else said. Gently pry them apart, open the resevoir cover, etc... Once you reinstal everything it doesn't hurt to bleed the system.

I would also advise you get some "panic braking" practice..

I can tell you if my rear brakes fell of and I was in a panic situation? would not even matter..

If I am stopping that hard, the back tire is going to be just touching the ground and the rear brake is only going to lock it up.. the motor and front brakes are doing all the work.. It is rare that I use the rear brake much in every day riding unless the streets are wet or I am on really bad surface..

You might PM GoldenChild, he has tons of this stuff laying around btw..

You mean my busa has a rear brake...where ??? J/k but seriously i have highsided a bike due to using the rear brake in a oh sh!t situation and locked the back tire up so now i dont even touch it except to make sure the lever is free now and then

What I want to know is why were you using the rear brake to begin with it is only 25% of your stopping power you should be using the front brakes. If you use your rear brake it could possibly cause you to low side or high side the bike depending on the situation. Also if the rear pads were changed and some one did not pump the rear brake after completing the job that could have been the cause of the rear brake not stopping the bike need to pump that rear brake lever and see if it tightens back up. As far as separating the pads I use a large chisel and put it in between the pads to separate a little and then use a small C Clamp to finish the job. Also release the pressure by doing what others have stated.:beerchug:

I would also advise you get some "panic braking" practice..

I can tell you if my rear brakes fell of and I was in a panic situation? would not even matter..

If I am stopping that hard, the back tire is going to be just touching the ground and the rear brake is only going to lock it up.. the motor and front brakes are doing all the work.. It is rare that I use the rear brake much in every day riding unless the streets are wet or I am on really bad surface..

You might PM GoldenChild, he has tons of this stuff laying around btw..

Now that's some good advise... of which I totally endorse and practice myself.

They make a special tool to spread the pads apart.
It is cheap and works great.
You don't need it but it is nice.
(I love all tools)
Harbor Freight probably has them;

893a_1.jpg

Uhh...errr...ummmm those two bolts with the 12mm head on them ????.....8mX1.25 not 8MX1.5. That would be a very aggressive coarse thread.....

Thanks for all the great advice from all of you! I just took the pads completly off and was able to compress the pistons with my ("strong") hands. I ordered the bolts and should be in within a week.

As for panic stopping experience I have plenty of it believe you me, people around Little Rock, AR drive like they are the rulers of the road and act like the nearest gas station is giving away free beer, chewing tabacco, and cigerettes to the first 10 customers. The main reason I went into pucker mode was the fact that I was expecting to have a stopping tool and when I tried to use it there was nothing there to use. I very rarely even touch the rear brake except when it comes to panic situations then I use that extra 25% of stopping power.

Thanks Guys!:beerchug:

Back