Rear axle cotter pin

amad

Registered
I just put on my back wheel after getting new tires. After torqueing the axle nut to the proper torque, I was having a hard time getting the cotter pin to go through both holes in the axle. I could get it through the top, but then not through the bottom. It's almost like the axle nut doesn't go on the axle far enough to completely expose the hole in the axle. I did put two cotter pins in...on through one hole and bent it out from the inside of the axle, and another through the other hole. Is that OK? Anyone had that same problem?
dunno.gif

Torque the nut, loosen until you can get the pin all the way through. I'd go with a hitch pin too & safety wire closed...

4.jpg

Where do you get the hitch pins? Omar gave me one at the bash 2 years ago and I never saw it again!

I got a stainless steal one from GM. They are used to hold on the front fender skirts
on the new top kicks. The fit is perfect.

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
It's almost like the axle nut doesn't go on the axle far enough to completely expose the hole in the axle.[/quote]
Check all the spacers to make sure they're installed properly and check to make sure the axle is seated properly in the adjuster block on the other side.

The torque doesn't have to be spot on. If you have to loosen it a tiny bit to get the holes to line up, you're not going to cause any problems.

--Wag--

+1 on the hardware store option. You can get one for $.50 or something. Grab a handful and throw'em in the toolbox. I find that other busa guys that stop by want them too.

Leaving the pin off will not hurt a thing. I can assure you that if you get anywhere near 72 ftlbs torque the nut will absolutely NEVER come off on it's own. I don't think the European Busas even have a place for a pin, not sure though.. and I don't think the 08 has it either. In any case the procedure is: Torque to spec, THEN BACK off (not tighten) until the holes line up to insert your pin.
beerchug.gif

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:
<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
It's almost like the axle nut doesn't go on the axle far enough to completely expose the hole in the axle.[/quote]
Check all the spacers to make sure they're installed properly and check to make sure the axle is seated properly in the adjuster block on the other side.[/quote]
exactly,
If you can't torque nut down enough to get a clear hole then somethings wrong ...back up and check spacers and that opposite end of axel is seated correctly in swingarm.

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:
<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
It's almost like the axle nut doesn't go on the axle far enough to completely expose the hole in the axle.
Check all the spacers to make sure they're installed properly and check to make sure the axle is seated properly in the adjuster block on the other side.[/quote]
exactly,
If you can't torque nut down enough to get a clear hole then somethings wrong ...back up and check  spacers and that opposite end of axel is seated correctly in swingarm.[/quote]
Thats what I was thinking too. You may want to take the wheel back off to do this. Check that the spacer between sprocket assy. is seated all the way. Also you have two spacers on each side of the wheel. The one with the wider lip goes on the brake side.

Back