Reaper Slam Kit

drewwerd13

Registered
Ok, there's been a lot of talk going around about slamming the busa. But what all is involved once you have all the parts? I'm going to get a "reaper slam kit". So I'm wondering... how do you compress the suspension to get those links on the back? Won't that spring make it kinda hard to get the links on? Or am I wrong?
Also, if you soften the suspension on the front after lowering it, won't the front end of the bike hit the front fender more?? Why wouldn't you stiffen the suspension? That part confuses me? A little advice from those that have already lowered their busa's would be greatly appreciated before I get my kit in the mail. Thanks!

Drew i installed mine about month ago

i jacked the bike up under the center and then once the links were loose i put a block behind the rear tire and used a pry bar up under the rear real and stepped on it as a lever was easy to lift the back end up one in place put bolt and bones in place and tighten up is easier if you have two people one to place bolts and one to raise back end but can be done with only one person .......
jump9.gif
redcomprs2.gif

Another thing... won't I need to get a new kickstand if I lower it??
on the kickstand depending on how low you drop it mine is dropped 2 inches in the back and it sits up almot 90 with the pavement did not like the way it was unstable so i did the kickstand mod and cut out a chunk on the fron and back of the kickstand so it goes foward more and has no problem i would suggest doing this asap do not want the bike to fall over .......
AAAssjani.gif

look on here or suzukihayabusa.org for the kickstand mod is pretty easy to do and well worth the time ......
type.gif

Thanks for the advice, Jace! Did you lower the front end on your busa when you lowered it? If so, how much did you lower it and what did you use to lower it? And what exactly will I need to do to adjust the front suspension properly for being lowered.
Just so you know, I'm planning on "slamming" it at first. Meaning the full 3" in the back and 1.5" in the front. If that's too low I can always jack it back up a little later. Thanks again for your advice.

Ok here's the deal I used.

1. Bought a impact hammer from Wal-Mart for 19.88 - plugs into a cigarette lighter.

2. Loosened the link bolts while the bike was on the ground, as well as the rear wheel axle nut (need for chain adjustment)

3.Used a floor jack to raise the back wheel off the ground.

4. Used a regular crank style car jack to raise the swingarm and release the tension on the links.

5. Slipped the old links off and new ones on.

6. Tighened the link bolts, made chain adjustments, and tightened the axle nut.

7. Dropped the bike down, tighened link nuts and wheel axle nut. Wa-La mission complete --about 30 minutes

By the way I used reaper's 1in risers up front, and dropped it 1.5-2 inches in the back... Didn't need to do the kickstand mod, but may dot anyway, the kiskstand is chromed so i didn't want to take a dremel to it.

Drew i used the reaper kit for the front as well lowered the front 1" and have not done anything to the suspension yet not sure how i want to set that up yet ? my suspension is still stock as far as i know need to adjust one of these days :blush:
laugh.gif

The reason why I'm asking about suspension is because I have unfortunately gotten into the habit of doing a lot of wheelies on my busa. And although I plan on stopping once I lower the bike, I'm sure I'll end up doing one every once in a while. I have come down REAL hard a couple times and I think I have made contact with the front fender before. So I would assume I need to stiffen the suspension once it's lowered so it doesn't bounce as much and make contact with that fender. Am I wrong??

Ok, I will be getting the slam kit soon. To prepare the kickstand for lowering the bike... where do I cut it and how much? Does anyone have any close up shots of thier kickstand after cutting? OR does anyone have any good websites where I can see how to do this mod?

I'm sorry Jace, I totally didn't read what you posted above. I'll see if I can find the "kickstand mod" post. Thanks!

hey drew here is a post on it and has a pic so you can see where to grind down be sure to do the front and back sites

this has better pics close ups also

type.gif

it might be easier i did was kinda pain to get it off at first but once it was off was easy to keep grinding till i got what i wanted taken off guess if you were good with dremmel then could do it while on bike just easier to have it eye level rather than laying on the ground and have the bike held up on stand
smile.gif

Back