Really looking hard for a Vstrom...

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
I think I have made up my mind that the next bike I get is going to be a Vstrom. I won't be able to get off for many weeks for a man trip like I have the past couple of years. There are a ton of back roads to ride here in Oklahoma so I was thinking about getting a Vstrom and taking my camping gear and leaving on friday and coming back on late Sat or maybe even Sunday...

Still on two wheels just will be doing it on the dirt and on the back roads...

Inquiring minds want to know right Brian? Yeah the Busa is paid for so I will keep it and ride both..

that's good to hear, your post sorta sounded like you were completely moving in a different direction, which I'm sure would lead to many other unnecessary questions. Great to hear you found another bike that you want and its still a Suzuki :thumbsup:

I can ride the Vstrom on short little jaunts around the state.. could be a lot of fun

I have a buddy with one, he loves the thing, actually rides with a bunch of BMW GS folks and does a variety of on/off roading. I hear they are amazingly fun so I'm sure you'll have a blast with it out there :thumbsup: Just imagine taking it up to the rockies and exploring some of the park areas you cant get to on the busa....or maybe a trip WAY far north :whistle:

I've thought about riding to Southern Colorado taking mostly back roads..

Cap look on ADVrider.com in there bikes for sale-They have them from time to time -most are set up for camping or long rides. Thats where I found my GSA

I looked seriously at a Strom at some point, but decided against it. It can do anything you want, but does not do any single thing very well.

I did a back road trip once on my Husky pictured below, with two Stroms and things got muddy. While I was having fun, they both walked next to their bikes to keep them up. I ended up riding off the dirt road and jumping over embankments to catch up with them later where the pavement started. For a true dual sport anything above 350 lbs gets too heavy.

At the end of the day it is the choice between comfort and if you really want to explore back country. I have been to places on my Husky around AR/MO where there are forrest lakes, superb woods and not a living soul in sight. Have seen black bear, red fox, deer etc. Some of the forrest lakes I had to first walk down, before riding down to see if I will be able to get back out. Would never have been able to do that with a Strom.

If the Strom is what you like though, go and look at the BMW's they are really nice and sometimes there are good bargains on used ones.

IMHO a V-Strom is about 90% pavement 10% forrest roads, a KLR650 is 40% pavement, 40% forest roads and 20% dirt trails, and then if you want more offroad, there is the DRZ400, DR650, Husky etc.

HuskyPisgah.jpg

HuskyPisgah.jpg

I feel your pain with this one Cap.. I would however go a different route for backroads/adventure touring as well. I'd be lookin' at a KLR650 or XR650L Even a DR650... WAY more fun on gravel roads, and totally comfy..
2008-kawasaki-klr650.jpg

Plus UNBELIEVABLY reliable and CHEAP. Not only to buy, but to maintain! Plus I think they look cooler than the Vstrom, but that's a whole different story :laugh:

"CaptainStrom" :rofl: I never rode the 650 but my 1000 is not relaxing on muddy roads with the Trailwing tires, Does ok on decent dirt roads that are dry, I agree the bike is 90% street 10% dirt, but a great machine to cover miles of sketchy back roads, more comfort than a narrow dirt bike, and does real nice when the pavement shows up. Also has the honk to carry stuff & passengers. If you want to be "CaptainDirtBike" you would find it too heavy for mud & woods. I find it ok in the loose, just reduce tire pressure.

"CaptainStrom" :rofl: I never rode the 650 but my 1000 is not relaxing on muddy roads with the Trailwing tires, Does ok on decent dirt roads that are dry, I agree the bike is 90% street 10% dirt, but a great machine to cover miles of sketchy back roads, more comfort than a narrow dirt bike, and does real nice when the pavement shows up. Also has the honk to carry stuff & passengers. If you want to be "CaptainDirtBike" you would find it too heavy for mud & woods. I find it ok in the loose, just reduce tire pressure.

I don't think that I will be doing the trails of Colorado but definately some less paved and gravel is more along the lines I was looking for... The seat will need to be fairly comfy.... I sold my CRF450 a couple years ago and if I sit on a bike that is anything like that I will immediately get off of it and move to the next one... I think 100 / 80 / 10 is where I need to be... 100% dirt road and gravel / 80% street - highway / 10% offroad completely...

I hope you get to try before you buy. Jellyrug is spot on that you need a light bike for offroad, but then there is offroad & then there is OFFROAD. A 650 strom may meet your specs in the above post if "offroad" is limited to some open trails, "level 2 offroad" perhaps yes to the Kawi KLR 650, (or the Honda/Zuke models....BMW) or the lighter 250's to 400's, but if you are thinking mud/roots/jumps you need a lightweight Knobby setup, and that approach lays down when you hit the street.... the age old tradeoffs. You get a 650 thumper stuck in a mudhole & its 90 out, the fun level drops to the negative numbers. You pull onto an onramp with 35 HP after climbing off the Busa & ....:banghead: I'd say you need a real critical apprasial of the intended routes & their typical weather conditions. I was always a purist, but have had over 50000 miles of serious fun with the big strom, just not in the mud or the tight. The Busa also out pulls it ion the street :beerchug: Perhaps you could trailer a YZ250 2 stroke behind a strom :laugh: They quit making the open class 2 stroke motocrossers (handle dirt & dirt roads with gusto compared to ANY enduros :whistle: A man needs 4 bikes minimum I think... :please:

Back