Ready to move up, HA HA

kennym4

Registered
My father got an 2002 Road King about a month ago, and 2 weeks ago I went to a Harley dealer with him (on the Busa) so he could get a switch that was missing when he got it. As soon as we walked in a salesman comes over, and says "so, are you ready to move up to a Harley ?". I smile, and say "NO thank you". Yesterday I went with him to another dealer looking for the same switch. Salesman comes out, and asks "so how do you like that busa ?" I say "I LOVE it". He then says "hey, there's nothing wrong with starting out on something like that, you'll know when you're ready to move up, just get use to riding, we'll still be here". I had to laugh, and say "Move up, to what, you have something that can take it ?" (Not that I'm a racer, but that's what came out) His response was "I guess you never heard of V-RODS". I laughed again, and told my Pop "Never again".

Do they REALLY think that, or just trying to make a sale ?

Some of them are so anti-metric bike that they don't realize just how much power the metric bikes make. I don't know this for a fact but I suspect any sport bike that is 600CCs or more would take any Harley both bikes being stock.

Don

Just trying to make a sale is all.
I'm sure they know Harleys are a different kind of bike. (no bashing just different)
I used to same same thing to folks who drove Caddys onto our Lincoln Lot :laugh:
Besides I would venture to say that if you walked around back to see all the trades they have many would be Jap bikes.

Some of them are so anti-metric bike that they don't realize just how much power the metric bikes make. I don't know this for a fact but I suspect any sport bike that is 600CCs or more would take any Harley both bikes being stock.

Don

He said Anti-Metric....
Isnt that a racist term...:rofl:

Besides I would venture to say that if you walked around back to see all the trades they have many would be Jap bikes.

Harley dealer down the road from my place used to wouldn't even take a Metric bike on trade.
But, now that they're hurting that may have changed.

My father got an 2002 Road King about a month ago, and 2 weeks ago I went to a Harley dealer with him (on the Busa) so he could get a switch that was missing when he got it. As soon as we walked in a salesman comes over, and says "so, are you ready to move up to a Harley ?". I smile, and say "NO thank you". Yesterday I went with him to another dealer looking for the same switch. Salesman comes out, and asks "so how do you like that busa ?" I say "I LOVE it". He then says "hey, there's nothing wrong with starting out on something like that, you'll know when you're ready to move up, just get use to riding, we'll still be here". I had to laugh, and say "Move up, to what, you have something that can take it ?" (Not that I'm a racer, but that's what came out) His response was "I guess you never heard of V-RODS". I laughed again, and told my Pop "Never again".

Dang that's funny,
After totaling my first Busa, I was at the IMS in Long Beach and was telling a vendor about it, and he said "So what are you going to upgrade to?"
In a Look of shock I said "Upgrade, There is no Upgrade" he got the point!:laugh:
Bubba

The only time I see a harley I am Passing them or they are in my Mirrors.........Even on the Buell :laugh:

Harley dealer down the road from my place used to wouldn't even take a Metric bike on trade.
But, now that they're hurting that may have changed.

Well now that would be very stupid for any retail business to do .
Not take a product in trade due to make or origin ?
Granted it seems Harleys hold more value bu there is still a great used Jap bike market .

Last edited:
Granted it seems Harleys hold more value bu there is still a great used Jap bike market .

Maybe they used to hold their value but around here you can sell a sportbike a lot quicker than a Harley now. Trouble is, When people get a sportbike they normally upgrade to a Busa not a Harley.:thumbsup:

He was trying to get you to trade it in so that he could buy it from the dealership himself!
Posted via Mobile Device

The only class that you'd be moving up in is the amount of money you chose to spend on your bike. They've really got it figured out as far marketing. They used to be strictly for completely avid, live to ride, bad @$$es on bikes...now it seems like a bunch of mid-something or others that buy one just for status and look like they're going out for Halloween with a costume on. I'm all for gear, but the look seems far too crafted and phony. Just my opinion. Oh, and they sound like $#!t!. :laugh::laugh:

tell him the v-rod is no match and you will be more than happy to prove it. trust me you won't lose. :laugh:

Yes, they really think that.
Others may (will) disagree, but I think that much like the other dinosaurs, the average Harley owner has a brain the size of a walnut, which is why they have no clue about just how inferior their bikes are in every way.

I had one guy telling me today about how fast his Harley is. I said, "So, you wanna race?" Response? "Uhhhh....nah, nah...there's too many cops around at this time of day."

Theres a LEO on the Harley forum and this is what he says:

"If a Busa comes past me at 120mph, I let him go. If a Harley comes past me at over 110mph, I put him in my back seat with cuffs on and decide whether I want to impound the bike, as that is really dangerous."

I went to the HD dealership that use to be in town, before it went under. I think they just couldn't compete with our pre-existing custom shop that was also doing the dealerships paint repair and fixing mechanical problems they couldn't figure out... go figure.

Anyway, I took my custom down there, and was considering trading it in on a brand new... oh, I forget, some big, low, wide, bagged monster of a machine, and they told me they ONLY take HD's as trade in because they do HD certified, inspected preowned vehicles with warranty.

Can't do the same with other bikes because they aren't genuine harley, and I don't think they wanted their trade in's out selling their new stuff.

Back