Reading cycle world's september issue

Charlesbusa

Used to be a SoCal Busa
Donating Member
Registered
Jeez,

How can I take anything this mag says seriously when they say a stock busa puts out 160.4bhp and top speed of 183mph...
rock.gif

I guess the article is for the uninformed....

183 is restricted speed.
I believe the restricted speed is 186
Yup, its 186mph

Cycle World claims that the zx-14 pulled until the speed restriction at 186mph.  They also claim that the Busa could not get to the limiter.  
wow.gif
 Uhh, hello, McFly...  I've been there  
biggrin.gif

cool.gif

Try again Cycle World.
yeah werent we side by side when we hit the limiters on 33?

I ran my '05 with a GPS mounted and bounced off the limiter at 183. With my TRE installed I got a 185 GPS reading but had to let up due to traffic (the bike was still pulling though).

Pipedc.JPG

Cycle world didn't use GPS or TREs.

They just looked at the instruments.

Besides both bikes are limited to the exact same speed.  Cycle world is saying the zx-14 can get there while the Busa can't.  Ron and I were both there side by side at the limiter  
biggrin.gif

Not to mention probably 2/3s of everyone here has been to the speed limiter. I guess cycle world forgot to twist the grip to the stop.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1156041353 -->

Besides both bikes are limited to the exact same speed.  Cycle world is saying the zx-14 can get there while the Busa can't.  Ron and I were both there side by side at the limiter  
biggrin.gif
I'm not saying the Busa can't hit the limiter, I'm just saying when it does it's not going 186. If what you say is true about them looking at the instruments, then they are WAAAY off. 186 on the Busa's speedo is really about 175ish. If you ever top out your bike, glance at the techometer when the speedo hits 186. It'll be in the 9,500 rpm neighborhood. The limiter is at 10,500.

In other words, when the speedo says 186, the bike is still picking up speed. The only moderate way to truely know how fast you're going is with a GPS mounted on your bike or via radar-gun. Looking at a sportsbike speedo will only give you a ballpark figure on your speed and more often than not its on the high-side.

BTW .. kool banner!

<!--EDIT|Spigga
Reason for Edit: None given...|1156042222 -->

biggrin.gif
I'm not saying the Busa can't hit the limiter, I'm just saying when it does it's not going 186. If what you say is true about them looking at the instruments, then they are WAAAY off. 186 on the Busa's speedo is really about 175ish. If you ever top out your bike, glance at the techometer when the speedo hits 186. It'll be in the 9,500 rpm neighborhood. The limiter is at 10,500.

In other words, when the speedo says 186, the bike is still picking up speed. The only moderate way to truely know how fast you're going is with a GPS mounted on your bike or via radar-gun. Looking at a sportsbike speedo will only give you a ballpark figure on your speed and more often than not its on the high-side.

BTW .. kool banner!
Yup, I get that. Indicated and actual speed are different. BUT, it is also true for the zx-14.

All I was trying to point out is the mag says the busa can't even reach the speed limiter while the zx-14 can
rock.gif
And a stock Busa pulled a 160.4bhp, when most everyone here agrees a stock Busa really pulls 150-155hp. This way they can claim the zx-14 pulled over 170hp.
rock.gif

I'm waiting for Sport Rider's review. To me, they seem to be more objective.

This review from cycle world just reeked of zx-14 favortism.

rock.gif

Back