re tread tires suck

GEARJAMMER

Banned
I grenade this 1 yesterday with a 18,000lb mold on back.
Road service took 1 hour get there changed me out 15 min.
2lozl2.jpg

Glad no bikes were around me when it did it.
2ahbgnt.jpg

I remember back a few years ago I encouraged my work colleague to go out and buy a bike. So he bought a 600 gxr as it was his first bike. he had just got his endorsement and had been on the bike maybe a month when going down the highway he found himself between 2 semi tractor trailers at one point. Then the worst thing happened when one of the tires blew out right beside him. the tread got caught up under his wheels. got in his back tire and chain and tore up the undertail before spitting it out the back. He said it scarred him so bad when it happened between the explosion and debris that his just froze in place.. ironically enough doing nothing is probably what saved him. That and the guiding hand of GOD. I couldnt believe it. Thats why I never ride around them if I can help it. Of course it was just the way it was going to happen in his case he wasnt riding between them on purpose it just worked out that way...

^^^^^
Once, I was behind a semi in a Mercedes, truck blew a tire and spat the casing out right in front of me, went underneath the car. Ripped out both the engine mountings on my Merc.

I carry air gauge with me correct press 4 my tires anyway is 105lbs
Do I check them every time no sometime its dark raining ect
get load on with low tire it bulges starts rubbing against other tire heat builds then kaboom!
Fairly easy week this week Indy+Elwood IN north of indy ,Bloomington,Calvert city KY Clarksville TN ,Fenton MO (suburb St. Louis)
I go down 2 AL a lot Muscle Shoals+Florance

I carry air gauge with me correct press 4 my tires anyway is 105lbs
Do I check them every time no sometime its dark raining ect
get load on with low tire it bulges starts rubbing against other tire heat builds then kaboom!
Fairly easy week this week Indy+Elwood IN north of indy ,Bloomington,Calvert city KY Clarksville TN ,Fenton MO (suburb St. Louis)
I go down 2 AL a lot Muscle Shoals+Florance
I drive for a living also -- and I have a quick way to check my tires without putting a pressure gauge on each one. Go to Harbor Freight (or whoever is the cheap auto parts in your area) and buy a laser temp gauge. Should be $25-40. Keep it in the truck. Then every time you stop (and at least once in the first 45 minutes) check the tire temp of each tire. I check the sidewall (center) and the tread (1/2" below the edge on the sidewall). Get to know what your normal readings are -- which you will after you've done it a few times. A low tire will immediately heat up. You'll also see a 15-30 degree difference on recapped tires. Its the nature of the beast, that's why they fail so often. I also use it to check my trailer hubs to make sure that I don't have a hub that's heating up (bearing is beginning to fail). This ,of course, does not substitute for you standard pre-trip inspection procedures. Its a great way to quickly and easily catch tire problems before they get catastrophic.

You can have pressure right and still throw a recap. I drive for a living too. On the sidewall there is a date branded in tires. Big truck tires not suppose to be recapped more than 5 times. After that the sidewalls are to weak. Blowed a cap 50 miles after put on, date on tire was 10 yrs ago. My boss use to send them for cap till walls just give out. Can only imagine how many times that 10yr oldtire been capped.

Retreads should be illegal!

Well they r on steer tires+school bus however I agree with u.......
right I know were that date is

ORENP I been wanting 1 those 2 check my tire on bike I race after burn out u just gave me good excuse 2 get 1 hee hee thanks

D o t says ilegal to put cap on steer tires. Not suppose to even patch a steer and put back on ft. We do what we have to do to get load done, just don t get insp.

I have been behind trucks a few times when a retread has let go. You can usually smell hot or burning rubber right before one goes so check for that as you come up behind them.

Back