RCC Stage 1 Odd Noise

09vmax

Registered
Hey guys,
Installed a stage 1 kit with BOV, from Frank and Powerhouse, on an '06 Busa with aprrox 14000 miles. Bike ran flawless before install with no oil use. Fired up bike in late April and everything seemed fine. After several minutes started hearing what sounded like 3-4 marbles rattling around in a metal can. Stethascope on everything and nothing found. Thought it was from taking clutch off and putting on higher volume oil pump. Emailed Frank and he suggested it had to be this. Took clutch clear apart and looked everything over. Nothing. Perfect install. Took bike to Ryan Schnitz for dyno tuning. Bike ran 251 at rear wheel with no clutch issues. Ryan said ran good but hadn't heard this type of noise before.
Bike also has blue smoke coming from exhaust only when letting off throttle which can be from several things but this noise has me baffled. Sent a video to Frank in which you can distinctly hear the noise from around the turbo. No response. So has anyone else experienced a weird metal rattling noise when letting off throttle? And no nothing is touching the turbo, exhaust, ect, ect.
Thanks guys.

How old is the turbo?
How many miles on it?

Hey guys,
Installed a stage 1 kit with BOV, from Frank and Powerhouse, on an '06 Busa with aprrox 14000 miles. Bike ran flawless before install with no oil use. Fired up bike in late April and everything seemed fine. After several minutes started hearing what sounded like 3-4 marbles rattling around in a metal can. Stethascope on everything and nothing found. Thought it was from taking clutch off and putting on higher volume oil pump. Emailed Frank and he suggested it had to be this. Took clutch clear apart and looked everything over. Nothing. Perfect install. Took bike to Ryan Schnitz for dyno tuning. Bike ran 251 at rear wheel with no clutch issues. Ryan said ran good but hadn't heard this type of noise before.
Bike also has blue smoke coming from exhaust only when letting off throttle which can be from several things but this noise has me baffled. Sent a video to Frank in which you can distinctly hear the noise from around the turbo. No response. So has anyone else experienced a weird metal rattling noise when letting off throttle? And no nothing is touching the turbo, exhaust, ect, ect.
Thanks guys.

Going back and forth with you on this issue through emails is not "no response". What I did with your video is forward it to Richard at RCC because you told me Ryan was going to call him directly, remember? Did that happen? The fact that your only intrusion into the motor was the clutch - which you said you re-checked - there can't all of a sudden be an engine problem. It is either just the exhaust noise from the dump pipe, which you may not be used to, or something with the turbo itself - which is doubtful being the kit is new, but anything is possible. Having all three of us going back and forth with each other and you is ridiculous. Since Ryan heard this noise firsthand, he is the one best equipped to describe it and discuss it with Richard, I suggest that you move forward with that. I am curious as well, as it is difficult to diagnose something you never heard from a video. Get with RCC on this and let us know what it was . . .

Appologies Frank,
What was meant by" no response" was I did not hear back from you after sending the video. Every other time you were quick with a response. And yes it is ridiculous to run around between you, Richard, or Ryan but I did not contact Richard with this "issue" because I was told to keep my questions to my vendor. And you may have hit the nail on the head with this noise being something I'm not used to but it is a noise that I have not heard from a turbo charged truck or car, of which I own. So maybe its just common on a turbo bike but Ryan had said it was something he hadn't been accoustomed to hearing either.
Anyway, this thread was intended to see if anyone else had an "odd noise" and could give their 2 cents about.

Last edited:
Appologies Frank,
What was meant by" no response" was I did not hear back from you after sending the video. Every other time you were quick with a response. And yes it is ridiculous to run around between you, Richard, or Ryan but I did not contact Richard with this "issue" because I was told to keep my questions to my vendor. And you may have hit the nail on the head with this noise being something I'm not used to but it is a noise that I have not heard from a turbo charged truck or car, of which I own. So maybe its just common on a turbo bike but Ryan had said it was something he hadn't been accoustomed to hearing either.
Anyway, this thread was intended to see if anyone else had an "odd noise" and could give their 2 cents about.

I have heard the video and it sounds more like a slight miss fire or pop in your exhaust. Why not try removing the dump pipe, or putting something on it that makes it longer, like sliding a large exhaust hose onto it and see if the noise is still there, it is extremely doubtful that it would be the turbo, as you likely know, owning turbo cars and trucks, that a turbo charger is merely a shaft with an impeller on either side and in your case, full floating bushings in the center. There is nothing in the turbo that can sound like 3-4 marbles rolling around in a tin can, if the clearances in the turbo were that bad you would have a puddle of oil on the ground and possibly some parts. It could be something as simple as an exhaust leak somewhere in the system letting some cool air into it and creating a popping noise though the exhaust. Oh, slight smoke on deceleration is typically a sign of a valve seal problem, you go from an area of pressure in your intake ports when the throttle is open, to an area of high vacuum when you close the throttle, which sucks oil past your seals and into the intake port.

Richard

Back