Rayabusa0818's ( Don ) Birthday today

georgiabusa_05

Fun Times!
Donating Member
Happy Birthday buddy! I know your looking down on us with a great big old smile on your face. We are getting ready to go on one of those good long rides that you loved so much. :)

happy b-day, brother! i cherish every memory of times spent on the road together and look forward to seeing your infectious grin again one day!

Happy birthday Don- I miss you brother! Enjoy your ride, you know those streets are guarded by United States Marines...

Happy birthday Don. You and all who have gone before and after are missed.
Enjoy riding "Heavens Dragon Tail"

Happy Birthday my dear friend who I miss very much.

Hate that your not going to see your new grandchild but know you will be watching over him from above.

I dreamed about Pat and Brit last night, now I know why.

He is about to get another Grandchild, makes me happy and sad all the same.

Did a ride in the heat today, with gear.... he would have demanded it that way... He would have made me ride even if locusts were swarming. Love and miss my friend....

Cheers sir!

Ok, I have to do this….

I have cried three times in the last twenty years. He got two of them, one tonight. The other also regarded a bike… But lets not cover that…

A ‘Don Story’…:

It was 2007 I think. I was time for the Busa Bash at Deals Gap. At the Phillips Motel.
I arrived early just like I always do.
I was sick, I had this sinus infection, I get them once every decade or so and this one was a doozy.
I got there, did some riding and then it started to rain. I committed to my wife (who all of yall already know) and who has been to as many ‘Bashes’ as I have. That I WOULD NOT RIDE. Just too perilous given my state of being and the conditions.
I snuggled back into room 118’s 1970s esque loungers and settled in for some ‘vacation time’. All was going well, until… I got my marching orders…

Don showed up.

A knock at the door of room 118, rain cascading down from the eaves, all of it dropping on this old dude in blue and silver leather that matched his blue and silver Busa. He stood there as I opened the door, in this downpour and said with a childish grin…
“looks like we are gonna get some rainy weather riding in todayâ€￾!!!

I had met Don a Busa Bash or two previous and knew that I had little choice in this matter. He was a 'rider'. Many years later he would ride to the Mobile area, on his bike, just to see friends and family, and to... ride!

He had just rode in from Sale Creek TN to this Busa Bash.

Although I have been to Sale Creek, I have no idea where it is now… But he did not even want to rest, or dry off for that matter.

He made it clear to me, that I was going riding, that I would like it, and that many things would happen that day. None of which involved ME, sitting on my ass in room 118. I told him of my stance, of my condition. Nope… We were riding to the Smokey Mountains!

Some hours later, in an inescapable, all day driving rain. Tim (thanks man), my bud Kevin and his soaked wife, my wife and Don…. Rode to the Smokey Mountains and God be my witness a Park Ranger came to us and asked, whilst we sat at this overlook amidst rain particles that were not falling but were just hanging in the air around us….
“So… whos idea was thisâ€￾?

I think it was mine…

I think I saw a bear that day, but I don’t know. I was the first sport bike rider in the history of the pursuit to learn to blow ones nose inside of an Icon helmet…. and ride through the subsequent shield fog and distraction.

On the way back, the clouds cleared and we had a brilliant ride back to the Phillips Motel along some north route… Foothills Pkwy? ….It was awesome.

Great memories.
Great friends.

Great... Ride!

Great pain this evening when I reflected on this post that Tim made… and when Dawn asked me this morning.....“do you know what today isâ€￾?

Never forgotten sir!

Thank you for sharing that Randy.

Sent from my DROIDX using Forum Runner

Ok, I have to do this….

I have cried three times in the last twenty years. He got two of them, one tonight. The other also regarded a bike… But lets not cover that…

A ‘Don Story’…:

It was 2007 I think. I was time for the Busa Bash at Deals Gap. At the Phillips Motel.
I arrived early just like I always do.
I was sick, I had this sinus infection, I get them once every decade or so and this one was a doozy.
I got there, did some riding and then it started to rain. I committed to my wife (who all of yall already know) and who has been to as many ‘Bashes’ as I have. That I WOULD NOT RIDE. Just too perilous given my state of being and the conditions.
I snuggled back into room 118’s 1970s esque loungers and settled in for some ‘vacation time’. All was going well, until… I got my marching orders…

Don showed up.

A knock at the door of room 118, rain cascading down from the eaves, all of it dropping on this old dude in blue and silver leather that matched his blue and silver Busa. He stood there as I opened the door, in this downpour and said with a childish grin…
“looks like we are gonna get some rainy weather riding in today”!!!

I had met Don a Busa Bash or two previous and knew that I had little choice in this matter. He was a 'rider'. Many years later he would ride to the Mobile area, on his bike, just to see friends and family, and to... ride!

He had just rode in from Sale Creek TN to this Busa Bash.

Although I have been to Sale Creek, I have no idea where it is now… But he did not even want to rest, or dry off for that matter.

He made it clear to me, that I was going riding, that I would like it, and that many things would happen that day. None of which involved ME, sitting on my ass in room 118. I told him of my stance, of my condition. Nope… We were riding to the Smokey Mountains!

Some hours later, in an inescapable, all day driving rain. Tim (thanks man), my bud Kevin and his soaked wife, my wife and Don…. Rode to the Smokey Mountains and God be my witness a Park Ranger came to us and asked, whilst we sat at this overlook amidst rain particles that were not falling but were just hanging in the air around us….
“So… whos idea was this”?

I think it was mine…

I think I saw a bear that day, but I don’t know. I was the first sport bike rider in the history of the pursuit to learn to blow ones nose inside of an Icon helmet…. and ride through the subsequent shield fog and distraction.

On the way back, the clouds cleared and we had a brilliant ride back to the Phillips Motel along some north route… Foothills Pkwy? ….It was awesome.

Great memories.
Great friends.

Great... Ride!

Great pain this evening when I reflected on this post that Tim made… and when Dawn asked me this morning.....“do you know what today is”?

Never forgotten sir!

Yep, thats what make a great ride, and Don and I had many. I rode 474 miles today on a ride that Don would have been proud of. Randy, I also shed a few tears this morning while posting this. He was an awesome friend and man. :)

Happy Birthday Ray!

img_0411.jpg

Here's a couple of pics from yesterday's ride. Nearly 500 miles through GA, TN, NC, and SC. Rain and all, Don would've loved it.

8-18-12b.jpg

8-18-12a.jpg

8-18-12a.jpg

8-18-12b.jpg

Back