Rattle, whine, sieze... please help

XtahoeX

Registered
Long story short (kind of). I am in the process of building a 1974 Mini with a mid mounted Gen 1 Turbo Busa. The story of the build is on Instagram @barely_a_mini During my first trip to the dyno we floated a valve. I replaced the bent valve and put in a set of APE valve springs. I put it back together and apparently the old set of keepers didn't like the new springs and decided to let a valve thoroughly destroy my head, jugs, and a piston. I rebuilt again. This time I added APE titanium retainers. I successfully got the project tuned and then the car sat while other stuff needed to get done. I got back to the project this week. I had the motor running and I heard what sounded like a timing chain rattle but the sound was emanating from the opposite side of the motor. Upon the reving the motor the sound would go away. I was running Rotella T oil which and decided to do an oil change to Mobil 1 4t Racing 10w-40 to help bring up oil pressure at idle my oil pressure gauge was showing at 6 psi after the motor warmed up at idle (to low IMO). After the oil change the oil pressure went up. The rattle was still present though. I made a few revs and the rattle went away but returned at idle. Then a whine developed and ultimately the motor stalled and would not turn over via starter. My first thought was I dropped another valve and killed my motor AGAIN. I used a borescope and could not find any damage. I spent all day today tearing down the motor to the point of taking the head and jugs off. There is no damage to anything. The valvetrain is still intact. The crank turns by hand (with a ratchet on the crank bolt) but there is a sound (sand be crunched) and some binding coming from the area of piston 1 and 2. After watching some youtube videos on tuning of the crankshaft counterbalance and the sounds associated with them (whining and rattling) I tend to think my counterbalance died and it's bearings are toast. I plan on pulling the oilpan and counterbalance tomorrow and inspect it. After finding no threads about counterbalance failure, I would have to think this is pretty uncommon? My question is, is this plausible? If the counterbalance is not the problem or if its scattered in a million pieces on the bottom of the oilpan I guess the silver lining is I get to learn how to rebuild a hayabusa motor and add forged rods!

Thanks for any help. I appreciate it.

Ryan

Long story short (kind of). I am in the process of building a 1974 Mini with a mid mounted Gen 1 Turbo Busa. The story of the build is on Instagram @barely_a_mini During my first trip to the dyno we floated a valve. I replaced the bent valve and put in a set of APE valve springs. I put it back together and apparently the old set of keepers didn't like the new springs and decided to let a valve thoroughly destroy my head, jugs, and a piston. I rebuilt again. This time I added APE titanium retainers. I successfully got the project tuned and then the car sat while other stuff needed to get done. I got back to the project this week. I had the motor running and I heard what sounded like a timing chain rattle but the sound was emanating from the opposite side of the motor. Upon the reving the motor the sound would go away. I was running Rotella T oil which and decided to do an oil change to Mobil 1 4t Racing 10w-40 to help bring up oil pressure at idle my oil pressure gauge was showing at 6 psi after the motor warmed up at idle (to low IMO). After the oil change the oil pressure went up. The rattle was still present though. I made a few revs and the rattle went away but returned at idle. Then a whine developed and ultimately the motor stalled and would not turn over via starter. My first thought was I dropped another valve and killed my motor AGAIN. I used a borescope and could not find any damage. I spent all day today tearing down the motor to the point of taking the head and jugs off. There is no damage to anything. The valvetrain is still intact. The crank turns by hand (with a ratchet on the crank bolt) but there is a sound (sand be crunched) and some binding coming from the area of piston 1 and 2. After watching some youtube videos on tuning of the crankshaft counterbalance and the sounds associated with them (whining and rattling) I tend to think my counterbalance died and it's bearings are toast. I plan on pulling the oilpan and counterbalance tomorrow and inspect it. After finding no threads about counterbalance failure, I would have to think this is pretty uncommon? My question is, is this plausible? If the counterbalance is not the problem or if its scattered in a million pieces on the bottom of the oilpan I guess the silver lining is I get to learn how to rebuild a hayabusa motor and add forged rods!

Thanks for any help. I appreciate it.

Ryan
Pull the oil pan and look for metal
I have heard of the balancer being noisey if not properly adjusted but have not heard of failing

Pull the oil pan and look for metal
I have heard of the balancer being noisey if not properly adjusted but have not heard of failing
I will do that first thing. I'm probably screwed and have to rebuild but I'm holding out hope that the balancer is bad. Thanks for the reply.

That sounds horrible and expensive. Did you build the motors personally?
First three Then had HMP do case mods and mod my oil pressure relief
lived 4 years till I lifted a ring
have not lost a bearing since
and have rebuilt the motor 5 more times since

even when I dumped ALL my coolant into the oil pan cause A "freeze plug" popped out of the head
and I fired it with all that coolant in the oil

Ok, I figured it out. I cut open the old filter and dropped the pan. There was nothing too extraordinary in either. I pulled the counterbalancer and although there was some wear on the shaft, it did not fix the problem. The sound was still coming from that general area in the motor and besides a bearing there really could not be too much else... except the stator. Bottom line, when I installed the upgraded stator I apparently failed to use thread lock. The 3 bolts hold the stator to the cover had started backing out. One had backed out so far that it had bent and gotten hung up on the rotor. It would allow the crank to spin in one direction but it hung up the crank while spinning the other direction. New bolts with thread lock and quite a few hours of labor and it will be back to running soon.

Ok, I figured it out. I cut open the old filter and dropped the pan. There was nothing too extraordinary in either. I pulled the counterbalancer and although there was some wear on the shaft, it did not fix the problem. The sound was still coming from that general area in the motor and besides a bearing there really could not be too much else... except the stator. Bottom line, when I installed the upgraded stator I apparently failed to use thread lock. The 3 bolts hold the stator to the cover had started backing out. One had backed out so far that it had bent and gotten hung up on the rotor. It would allow the crank to spin in one direction but it hung up the crank while spinning the other direction. New bolts with thread lock and quite a few hours of labor and it will be back to running soon.
WHEW

Back