Ran new PB! Blew engine same night haha. Need advice for what's next

Bankrupt

Registered
Ok, so last night I went racing, ran a new PB of 9.26 @ 148.44 gen 1 65inch wb stock engine. I'm happy with it. Got new PB 60foot, 1.476. First 5 second 1/8th mile 5.966 @ 119.55 - I can't complain. Question is, I'm looking to go quicker as I'm sure I was close to the best time possible with the power it was putting out. I haven't dug into the engine yet to see exactly what failed. But let's just say I went out for a pass, it sounded normal, before and after. Ran a 10.4 @ 130mph, and I did nothing that would cause a full second loss and such a loss on mph. So I went back out and did the burnout, went to the line and she started knocking. I revved a little to hear if it matched the rpm and it did. Shut down the bike and parked. SO Whats recommended to get me around an 8.80, any specific setups people have run over the years to achieve this number? Thanks.

Since it’s a gen 1 you could do a 1397 setup. That will get you 8.8s pretty easy. You could do a gen 2 crank and make it a 1441 which from the sounds of it you probably will do if you motor was knocking your crank might not be useable.
was thinking something like this possibly. Looking for the most cost-effective way.

was thinking something like this possibly. Looking for the most cost-effe ctive way.
Hi. So race only. I would go with a 1507cc. The fasts stock motor bike ran 8.23 at 161MPH. To run quick you need the hole package motor, chassis and rider. I should have the motor to run a 6.30 but not the chassis or rider ME. Over build the motor and do not push it to the max all the time and you will have a lot of fun.

Hi. So race only. I would go with a 1507cc. The fasts stock motor bike ran 8.23 at 161MPH. To run quick you need the hole package motor, chassis and rider. I should have the motor to run a 6.30 but not the chassis or rider ME. Over build the motor and do not push it to the max all the time and you will have a lot of fun.
Would that require custom crank or something of that sort? Wouldn't I need more then simple head port?

Would that require custom crank or something of that sort? Wouldn't I need more then simple head port?
Y
Hi. you would need a stoker crank, go with Webb cams a good ported head, a set of rods and pistons. I have a Gen 1 myself I have done a lot of work to my motor. It is only a 1340cc but I use the 20mm pistons pins. I have custom ground Webb cams, custom JE pistons and C P Carrilol custom rods [ the rods are made for 1000 HP at 13500 RPM with the over run at 14200 RPM. The crank was $3,000.00 and the about $2,000.00. The MTC clutch was over $,3500.00. My head was about $4,000.00 I ordered a billet stroker crank from Marine cranks from DME. The motor will be turbo with nitrous. As you can see I have a lot of $ in the motor. DME, Harry;s marchined parts, DAS and many more are helping with this LSR/street bike.

Figure out what you goals are and determine the best path. A Gen2 crank is a really good bang for your buck. A good used one is typically around $600 and you get 1441 cc's with a 3mm overbore. The 1441 will live a long time compared to larger stroke motors. APE is your best bet for a block exchange and pistons. Gen 1 aftermarket pistons with the 20mm pin are considered better than Gen2 with the 18mm pin, but Gen2 stock rods are better. I make about 300 hp on stock Gen2 rods and I wouldn't go any higher. If I want more I would switch to Gen1 aftermarket rods and pistons so I would be spending money twice ... hence my first comment to figure out your goals and determine the best path.

The most cost effective solution is to sell the bike and ride the bus but you wouldn't even be here if that were likely. It all costs money but we all want get as much as possible for what we do spend.

Back