Ram Air Tubes

SpeedFiend

Registered
It looks like these are each split into two pieces. I'm guessing there's no type of seal on the seam is there? Thinking about pulling them out to seal them for Texas.

not that I can tell. Sounds like people who care enough about this use some sort of sealant. The Schnitz airbox seals are supposed to be adhered and sealed with Permatex Silicon. I thnk I will be using that stuff for the airbox seal, ram air connection and that pesky gromet.....actually that grommet is gonna leak even if you seal the edge...the protrusion from the fairing probably does not quite seal it....some day I am going to make a plug with a hole that does not go through so it will seal and hold the fairing protrusion at the same time.

like the sig! :laugh: "As a matter of fact, I AM a rocket scientist."

I'm sealing the grommets by putting them on the stud (fairings off the bike) and building up RTV around the backside. Used a dab of oil on the stud as a release agent. Then, I'll epoxy them onto the tube to really hold them in place as well as seal.

like the sig! :laugh: "As a matter of fact, I AM a rocket scientist."

:laugh:
enginetest.jpg

I hate to break peoples hearts on this, but the amount of free HP that sealing ducts might translates to isn't measurable. A pretty good estimate for calculting dynamic pressure is 1/2pV^2, and even assuming that 100% of the dynamic pressure is converted to static pressure in the plenum, the pressure is small. If you estaimate that typical air density (p) is around .076 lb/Ft^3, the theoretical maximum static plenum pressure you could get at 150 mph is .3 psi. A small leak at that small a pressure increase doesn't amount to much pressure loss. I used to log air box pressure a couple of years ago. I think the most I saw on my ZX12 was around .4 PSI at 200 mph if I recall. My point isn't that .3 psi doesn't generate HP. It does. But with that much air at that small pressure, a leak doesn't matter much.

Oh I know. I'm just OCD and chasing little crap because I don't want to come in at 199.998 mph. The nostrils are probably not even seeing much direct flow anyway.

Oh yeah, I data logged this ha. Looks like IAP in 2nd gear @120mph is ~3kPa and 3rd @150mph is ~2kPa both WOT. Not much resolution, but that seems to be where the averages are falling. I think these are actually vacuum values? Not sure what exactly I'm reading with the IAP, but it approaches zero at WOT and high speed.

Can the IAP read negative values (i.e. boost)? I have a bunch of zeroes in 4th around 6k, but no negatives.

Oh I know. I'm just OCD and chasing little crap because I don't want to come in at 199.998 mph. The nostrils are probably not even seeing much direct flow anyway.

it's easy to do and almost free. might as well. This sort of thing makes me feel like i'm not letting my baby go sloppy. Even if it doesn't amount to much, nothing will be lost.

The real benefit you get from the ram air system is the fact that the air isn't heated by the engine. The difference in 110 F air vs. 70 F air is real horsepower. My Gen II is race only now, but I put a lot of effort into getting the top of the motor (radiating source) cool, and the bottom of the motor (oil) hot between passes.

The real benefit you get from the ram air system is the fact that the air isn't heated by the engine. The difference in 110 F air vs. 70 F air is real horsepower.

...and we DO want to be nice to our non-heated air so there is enough reason for me to squirt a little sealant around the seams....just in case.:thumbsup:

Back