Ram Air Seals / Scoops

MN72Busa

Formerly known as "Zuki"
Donating Member
Registered
Anyone use the Ram air tube seals from Cycle Tricks, or the Ram air scoops from Carpenter?

Just wondering if using one of these 2 products or a combination of using both of them will give any benefits. I did a search at SH.org and cant fint the read on this I read sometime ago.

Ive heard that people have used Duct tape instead of using the seals, but not sure how a guy would do this, as there is not much clearence to get the tape in there all the way around the tubes. Basically, do either of these products work, and is there a way of doing the project at home for cheaper?

Have heard good things about the seals, not so good things about the scoops. haven't used either so its all heresay from my anyhow though.

smile.gif

What are the gains if you use there product, what gains? Do they have data to back it up? The scoops look like they would add drag to the bike, would be interesting to know if they increase the airflow though.

Heres the topic I was talking about at sh.org if anyone is intrested.

i've seen them in bikes but i dont like the look of um,but if it helps the poformance then thats kool.

i've seen them in bikes but i dont like the look of um,but if it helps the poformance then  thats kool.
Sounds llike the scoops are not worth getting...but the seals sound like they help out. I imagine you couldnt see the seals as they are under the tank, but if your talking about the scoops, I agree...I don't like the look of them.

One of our mechanic gurus over here swears by the seals. He says that they improve low speed performance noticeably.

I don't see how sealing the ram air ducts would help low speed performance? Is not this a mod for making more hp's while going over a 100mph or so. I read somewhere that the stock openings in the fairing don't work that well at speed-- Thus someone designed those scoops mentioned. Both mods are intended to increase ram air pressure in the air box--- to gain more hp's at high speed.
Then i read that the scoops don't work so well-- i am confused now

<!--EDIT|PaceMaster
Reason for Edit: None given...|1123509305 -->

I don't see how sealing the ram air ducts would help low speed performance? Is not this a mod for making more hp's while going over a 100mph or so. I read somewhere that the stock openings in the fairing don't work that well at speed-- Thus someone designed those scoops mentioned. Both mods are intended to increase ram air pressure in the air box--- to gain more hp's at high speed.
Ok, this is my petty input to this matter. If the Ram Air ducts are sealed better than the factory foam (The rubber seals), airflow would be more consistant, and increase the amount of airflow into the airbos. As you wouldnt be losing air to inefficent transport process...the inefficent part is the foam between the airbox, and the air ducts in the front.

I could see a real benefit at under 100 mph. At 100+ your getting alot of air, thus the inefficency isnt as big of a deal. However at under 100mph, your airbox is getting less air flow, thus the more air the better, and the seals block off the loss of air, giving you more HP.

As far as the scoops, Im not sure on those, but I could see removing the metal grates upfront to smooth out the airflow into the box.

Thanks valium-- sealing the ducts will then help pressurizing the box at pretty much any speed and removing the screens sounds like a good mod

An older article on ram air . I wish , ten years later they would take a good look at these newer models available and give us an advanced read on the subject .

Ram Air

<!--EDIT|mountainmotor
Reason for Edit: None given...|1123514707 -->

Back