Rajay vs Garrett

65Cobra

Registered
Nope, not trying to put these on the same level. I'll be running my Rajay this summer, an FF40 that I upgraded to an EF40 to see what I think. Next year I'm considering switching to a Garrett but I'm curious if, all else being equal (i.e. same plenum, bov, fuel system, wastegate and spring, etc.) what will I notice?

The Rajay uses an aluminum bushing instead of ball bearings, so I assume the Garrett will spool up faster. The Garrett is probably also a better design so I'm thinking it might be better able to feed the motor at higher rpm's. Just wondered what anyone else experienced in a similar situation.

it all depends on the size you are looking at
Also there are other turbos out there such as the master power brand which is a nice turbo itself (high quality)
Posted via Mobile Device

You should notice a hp increase, rajay are a fairly old design, garrett esp the gt range are designed to move more air but in a more specific range, seen some of the oldschool turbo bikes at the track running up to 40 psi with a rajay turbo, garrett would run out of puff at the low 30's but do it better till then (and probably move more air than the rajay at 40)

just compare the compressor maps.. right wheels/housings you can get them pretty close.

we used RayJay a lot in the earlier days of turbos because they had a carbon seal on the cold side (keeps fuel out of the oil on a wet system)..

go with bullseye. if you can send me some motor specs (bsfc, approximate airflow through motor, hp target, boost target, where you want power delivered) then i can help you pick out a turbo. personally i prefer a journal bearing turbo, vs a ball bearing. it'll run you around 200 with labor to have a journal bearing turbo overhauled, you just need a new center section for a dbb garrett, it'll run you around 900 bucks the last time i checked. (admittedly about a year and a half ago). precision makes decent turbos, but they're rebadged garret units. so are hks turbos. garret is the way to go imho, but i'd try to find a journal bearing turbo.

Back