raising the rear for better handling ?

CopMagnet5oh

Registered
i had an 03 r6 and i lowered the front by 10mm and it helped with quicker turn in with good tires. now i have a busa and the thing is stock height and it does not have enough ground clearance to do what a super sport can do as is, so lowering the bike even more is just stupid. so, my question is - can i raise the rear end just a bit to impove the handling ? has anyone done it and where did u get the links from ?

thank you.

- Konstantin

I have mine up an inch in the back. It helps with tip in and lean angle. I got a set of raising links off of ebay. there are also aftermarket shocks that allow you to adjust the ride height.

The 1" lift in the rear is a matter of preference. Some riders like it, some don't. Personally, I don't. I set mine up with about 4mm less sag in the rear and it works perfect for me.

Where you will notice the 1" lift most is in the tight, short corners. It's barely noticeable in sweepers. If you coast into the corner as most street riders do (And should), a 1" lift will take less effort to tip in. Remember, there are no free rides. You get quicker tip in but it takes more effort to hold your line. For me, I much prefer to steer my bike onto the choosen line.

Where the 1" rear lift begins to get a bit touchy is once you begin to trail brake into the corners. If you are on the brakes when you tip in, the front is already compressed two or more inches and it will fall into the corner anyway. By gradually releasing the brake and adding throttle you allow the chassy to settle into the corner with around 40% front - 60% rear weight ratio.

By adding another full inch to rear ride height to the two inches or so of compressed forks, you'll find the bike wanting to fall on it's face which can lead to that dreaded Survival Reaction. You'll quickly learn that trail braking and rear ride height has a delicate balancing act! :beerchug:

You will find a great compromise in a 190/55ZR17 rear tire. The tire will lift the rear just under 3/4". Handling is improved without compromising as much stability.

I raised mine 1" w/ "Soupy's" Adjustable links... You can def tell it makes a difference. Puts more strain on your wrists tho.

Another thing alotta of crazy mountain carvers do is get a shorter swing arm for better turning also.

The 1" lift in the rear is a matter of preference. Some riders like it, some don't. Personally, I don't. I set mine up with about 4mm less sag in the rear and it works perfect for me.

Where you will notice the 1" lift most is in the tight, short corners. It's barely noticeable in sweepers. If you coast into the corner as most street riders do (And should), a 1" lift will take less effort to tip in. Remember, there are no free rides. You get quicker tip in but it takes more effort to hold your line. For me, I much prefer to steer my bike onto the choosen line.

Where the 1" rear lift begins to get a bit touchy is once you begin to trail brake into the corners. If you are on the brakes when you tip in, the front is already compressed two or more inches and it will fall into the corner anyway. By gradually releasing the brake and adding throttle you allow the chassy to settle into the corner with around 40% front - 60% rear weight ratio.

By adding another full inch to rear ride height to the two inches or so of compressed forks, you'll find the bike wanting to fall on it's face which can lead to that dreaded Survival Reaction. You'll quickly learn that trail braking and rear ride height has a delicate balancing act! :beerchug:

All this is true. That is why you have to respring the front forks. Something that should be done anyway, unless you weigh 155 pounds at the most. Respringing the rear is next. ......................it really never ends, cause brakes are next, then power mods, then?

All this is true. That is why you have to respring the front forks. Something that should be done anyway, unless you weigh 155 pounds at the most. Respringing the rear is next. ......................it really never ends, cause brakes are next, then power mods, then?

ABSOLUTELY!

Upgrading the front springs was the simplest, best mod for the money as far as I am concerned. No more front end dipping and easier lean in and better control of the bike.

You're right about it never ending....

DSCI0008.jpg

DSCI0010.jpg

i am 155lbs :) and have 180 rear tire on my bike.

i dont think my front forks are ever compressed 2" while cornering, maybe only if im doing an endo or stoppie, whatever u wanna call it.

i am 155lbs :) and have 180 rear tire on my bike.

i dont think my front forks are ever compressed 2" while cornering, maybe only if im doing an endo or stoppie, whatever u wanna call it.

Tie a zip tie around the fork and see where it ends up after taking your normal mountain ride.

Back