Raising rear with floor jacks

Turbo-Torch

Donating Member
Registered
I'm about ready to order some Handy Stands but I've read about people having a hard time getting the bike up on the rear stand (by themselves especially) and in some cases dropping the bike.

Just brainstorming here...wouldn't a pair of cheap floor jacks used off spools or long bolts attached to the swing arm work just as good if not better?
Just weld a piece of U-Channel to each jack pad so the spool or bolt has something secure to rest in. Now raise the left side until the bike is upright enough that the right spool meets the right jack and raise them up evenly from there. When bringing the bike back down let the left side down a little more at first so the bike sits back gently on the kickstand.

Any thoughts on this?

Also anyone using the PitBull "NewFront" stand on their Busa? If so does it work good? Any clearance problems with the plastics?

Why not just spend $100-150 for a quality rear stand that fits your bike?

Yes, your idea will work. I have used a similar setup to work on suspention, when the swingarm stand is not useable.

Is it worth the hassle?

No.

Go buy a good stand. You have a 10k bike, a $150 stand is a small investment.

I've never had a problem with the handy stands.... just gotta make sure you have them lined up correctly and not be a total wuss when it comes to balancing the bike with one arm
wink.gif
I always have the rear seat/hump off and hold on back there and have never had one problema
cool.gif

btw, I've used a floor jack to put the dog bones on
cool.gif
so the suspension work is nice to have one

cool.gif

With practice, putting the bike on a rear stand becomes very easy. The possibility of dropping it is there with any method, but, as with most things, practice makes almost perfect.

Hi,
well i have two floor jacks, and i was intending on buying the real motorcycle lift stand.... if i dont move soon, i will probably by it (worth the 100 bucks...in my opinoion)..
however you can manage.. i had to do this to change both my front and rear tires.. real pain.. wish i had both the front and rear stands..
i dont recommend this so dont get angry if somehting goes bad but here is what i did...

first you need 2 floor jacks and two jack stands..
i put the two floor jacks underneath the swing arm, very carefully.. and raised both at the sametime as much as possible... finally used jack stands which were up on those car ramp thingies (already starting sound very dumb.. yep it was, but thank God nothing fell...)
any rate i need the jacks to be high since the only location i could use was that would not interefere with the tire was the diagonal support bar above the swing arm..at the point i lowered the jacks.. many people say using jack only as support is not good since they may loose thier pressure and drop.. the front of the bike was even worse.. i can give more details if anyone is interested..
conclusion. not worth the stress or time to use jacks..
another thought...
maybe buy a centerstand for about $80.. then you dont have to worry about the bike falling either..
thanks,

Buy the stands! In addition to being able to secure the bike you also have the flexibility to raise it up wherever you want or are able to. Any set of stands that you use will require some practice to get confident with them. When I bought my first PitBull rear stand I had the guy demonstrate and asked how hard it would be for a "newbie" to do it and he said his demo was the first time for him. I went home and struggled with the thought of balancing the bike to get it on the stand, but afterwards had not trouble. You will be happy that you got them (either Handy or PitBull)!

I bought two jackstands at wallyworld for 9.95, covered the tops with old rags, got two buddies, 1 held the front brake, I lifted the ass end up, my other buddy put the jackstands in place. Worked just fine for removing rear wheel.....

WTF???

This is the craziest thread I've ever seen on here.
wow.gif

I was a litle apprehensive the first time I used my Pitbull rear stand, but after having a spotter nearby in case things went wrong, it went without a hitch.

The best method I've read on this board, is putting a piece of 2x4 under the sidestand so the bike is standing almost vertical. That makes it easier to to stick the rearstand onto the spools. Having the hump off so you can hold onto the bar inside helps also.

Floorjacks?
blush.gif

WTF???

This is the craziest thread I've ever seen on here.
wow.gif

I was a litle apprehensive the first time I used my Pitbull rear stand, but after having a spotter nearby in case things went wrong, it went without a hitch.

The best method I've read on this board, is putting a piece of 2x4 under the sidestand so the bike is standing almost vertical.  That makes it easier to to stick the rearstand onto the spools.  Having the hump off so you can hold onto the bar inside helps also.

Floorjacks?
blush.gif
Hey, when it's 1 AM, and you wanna ride the next day, you'll do what you gotta do. Wallyworld is the only place open around here at that time of night.

Thanks for the info guys.

As far as using the jacks...it's not about being crazy, cheap or in a bind. I'm just thinking about a creative full proof way for one person to raise the rear of the bike without the slightest chance of dumping it.

So how about that Pitbull Newfront stand that uses a pin? In addition to tire removal I want to be able to do fork work so it seems ideal. Someone around here has to know something about it?

It fits under the upper fairing, but I place a cloth under mine to protect the front fender. Here's a pic.

Baby_J___30.jpg

Back