raised the rear 1 inch

_ZeF

Donating Member
Registered
Okay today i got the dogbones from Schnitz installed... I have no pictures of the work because i got it done at the dealer (i had business there anyway).

So half an hour later i'm outta there with my Busa's arse 1 inch higher in the air, here are my impressions so far.

No negative effect on the sidestand, if anything it even helps, giving the bike a bit more angle when on the stand. My legs are a bit more stretched, since i'm sitting higher, which is very positive since i am 6'1 and need all leg room i can get!! So far i've only ridden the bike in town so i cant really judge on the handling's changes but i did love it so far... One negative side could be i'll probably feel more weight on my wrists.

So far so good anyway... I like the way it looks, so far i like the way it feels and most of all, i wont be grinding any hard parts!!!

<!--EDIT|_ZeF
Reason for Edit: None given...|1127513625 -->

I am 6'1 and have the 1 inch dogbones set to raise the rear. I was checking for negatives before I did it. Thanks for the info.

Jimmy

becareful, itll want to come up to a wheelie easier. when i wanna fool around ill adj mine a little higher than stock and it comes up with out even trying..

I made a pair for mine ... 3/4" Doggytreats .. I like the fact that now I can lean and not grind ..
smile.gif

just so that we are clear....the "extra leg room" that you gained is from the seat to the ground.....and not from the seat to the foot pegs.
the rear sub frame does not pivot with against the main chassis....only the swingarm does...so the only additional clearance is gained against those parts that move.
rock.gif

I had the rear raising Dog Bones on Elenor... loved em!! I got them removed yesterday though... and went back to stock! My back is aching these days, so swished to a more comfortable riding position. But the Dog Bones sure do good help with the twisties
biggrin.gif

([url said:
WWW.NAARDEN.BIZ[/url] @ Sep. 24 2005,10:27)]becareful, itll want to come up to a wheelie easier.  when i wanna fool around ill adj mine a little higher than stock and it comes up with out even trying..
Isn't it the opposite?? You have more weight on the front wheel by raising the rear...

<!--EDIT|_ZeF
Reason for Edit: None given...|1127658012 -->

just so that we are clear....the "extra leg room" that you gained is from the seat to the ground.....and not from the seat to the foot pegs.
the rear sub frame does not pivot with against the main chassis....only the swingarm does...so the only additional clearance is gained against those parts that move.  
rock.gif
Thats wrong too... The driver's pegs are attached to the frame, not the subframe (like the passenger's). Therefore the driver's pegs did not move, as opposed to my arse that did... Result is an extra inch for the legs... And trust me you feel it.

I've ridden the Busa about 200 miles yesterday and i love the new height. As much handling wise as position wise... For cornering, the bike feels like it wants to carve in more, scary a bit at first but feels better when you get the hang of it (kinda like switching to steeper anled tires) I recommend that mod all the way for those interested.

race.gif

Not to be too negative-- I hope----raising the rear one inch is a lot. You now have a much steeper fork angle-- less rake---which could mean that if one were to go into a turn too fast
would equal less warning of a front tire washout slide-- as it could tuck under without warning.
wow.gif

rock.gif
Thats wrong too... The driver's pegs are attached to the frame, not the subframe (like the passenger's). Therefore the driver's pegs did not move, as opposed to my arse that did... Result is an extra inch for the legs... And trust me you feel it.

I've ridden the Busa about 200 miles yesterday and i love the new height. As much handling wise as position wise... For cornering, the bike feels like it wants to carve in more, scary a bit at first but feels better when you get the hang of it (kinda like switching to steeper anled tires) I recommend that mod all the way for those interested.

race.gif
OK...LET'S TRY THIS ONE MORE TIME...

Set the Labatt Blue on the counter and step away from it.

Please think about what you are saying...how the fu#$ are you going to raise the seat (in relation to the footpegs) without moving the pegs too?
It's like saying you raised the bumper on a car by installing air-shocks, and the car stayed the same hieght. Not possible.

I am not arguing that your arse is higher...perhaps a little too high now and the blood is rushing to your head. Or may the brain isn't used to such new altitudes yet.
wink.gif

It is more likely that the new seating angle has shifted some of your body weight forward and alieviated some pressure at the hip/thigh area (more weight on the wrists) and gives you the impression of "increased room".

Go outsides an measure it....have a person or two sit on the bike...the distance from the edge of the seat to the pegs will not increase nor decrease...the pegs move with the chassis...chassis is bolted to the subrfame....ergo, the pegs move with the subframe.

I am no joe racer/case scraper or master tuner...just take a minute and realize this is simple mechanics.
Here is a photo to illustrate the mounting points I am referring to...they do not pivot...and neither do the foot pegs.
SUBFRAME.jpg

There are only two other possibilities that come to mind...the canadian spec Busa has hiem joints or some thing different where the subframe bolts to the chassis....OR you are NOT riding a Busa.

I had so much more to say, but this is the politically correct edition and prolly just as well.
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|BusaCruise
Reason for Edit: None given...|1127682052 -->

wink.gif

haha this is actually pretty funny BusaCruise, you got to admit!
isnt it obvious that the pegs stay the same distance...the entire bike besideds the rear swingarm was just raised...that includes everything but THE REAR SWING ARM AND ITS COMPONENTS. not rocket science...i lowerd my bike it doesnt make my pegs any closer to me then they were b4 it just makes me and my pegs closer to the ground...

rock.gif

race.gif
im sorry dude but you are a dumbass there is no way you got more leg room by doing this mod unless you mean at stoplights. damn think about it for a second before you start to type.

Hey Zef ,you might want to check this one out.  I was thinking about the raiser too. I was told to try setting the suspension and riding position. I plan on trying all of the above.

<!--EDIT|1badasbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1127696883 -->

Hmmm... You guys are right... physically the leg room does not increase, besides when my feet are on the ground. I was a dumbass on that and did not take enough time to think about it, i am really not ashamed to admit it!!

But in reality, the change in driving position does have an effect because i sure feel it. Maybe because i tend to sit a bit more forward and i rest my feet differently, i don't know, but it does feel like i have more legroom!

Anyway what's important to me is that i like it like that... And i also intent to do a proper suspension setting when i find the time and proper equipment to do it... But even then i think that with a 200 pounds and up driver, the Busa will grind the ground when pushed hard with stock height.

Like I said...I never doubted you "felt" a difference...just that it wasn't physically happening.
wink.gif

beerchug.gif

How difficult is it to install different dogbones?
Looked quite easy when i watched the dealer do it... Take off the small cowl panel under the bike, use a jack to lift the rear wheel off the ground and you should be able to take the bolts off and install the new ones, using the jack to align the holes with the new bones...

Took him not even 20 minutes including uninstall / reinstall of the panel.

...use a jack to lift the rear wheel off the ground and you should be able to take the bolts off and install the new ones, using the jack to align the holes with the new bones...
This is the part I'm not sure about. Did they jack up the swingarm (I doubt it) or the frame? They didn't use a regular swingarm stand, did they?

I assume the front wheel was locked in some sort of wheel chock and they jacked up under the bike near the swingarm pivot. Does that sound right?

Also, what have you found regarding the rumor that raising the rear induces wheelies? (That doesn't sound right, but who knows?)

Back