raised handlebars

flyby

Registered
for those wishing to raise their handlebars, here is another option i came up with.

i',m 64 and can't do the leaned over thing anymore. I also have a turbo busa, so I may be old but i'm not slow, yet.

2 pairs of RSI risers: I chose the 3" version, but there are different heights available. I think they were 70 bucks a pair on ebay.
1 36" broomstick handlebar on ebay for 25 bucks. I wish i would have spend 10 bucks more an got the black ones.
1 used pair of busa handlebars for 10 bucks on ebay.
1 longer brake line on ebay for 25 bucks.
1 longer clutch line on ebay for 25 bucks.
1 small bottle of DOT 4 brake fluid.
1 vacuum pump to bleed the lines; i already had it.
1 pair of bar ends on ebay for 15 bucks for the hollow steel broomstick.
1 pair of cushy grips to put over my current grips; the small grips hurt my knuckles after a while. 6 bucks.
1 MSI windscreen with aero wing since I'm now sitting up a little higher. It works great with no buffetting. I had one on my turbo xx and loved it to.
175 bucks.

measure and cut the used busa bars to accommodate the two RSI risers on the end, and grind a slot for the one of the two locking bolts in the triple clamp. I used 2 RSI risers on each side for added safety and strength. I tried mounting one on the inside of the hydraulic reservoirs but the won't work that way because of he reservoir shape.

measure and cut to length the broomstick handlebars for both sides. somewhere around 13" + each, hence the 36" broomstick.

bolt on the broomsticks and reinstall the handlebar accessories.

Install the longer hydraulics and bleed. Good time to change the old fluid anyway.

Install the MSI screen.

Adjust the hydraulic reservoirs so as not to touch the windscreen.

The result is , for me, way way better, and it sill looks almost stock; especially if the bars were black, which I plan to change.
The bar ends do not touch the tank, or the windscreen.
The handlebars are now 2" higher, and setback is 2 1/4".
The ergonomics of the handlebars are the same.
In the picture it looks like the risers are blocking the view of the cluster, but when sitting on the bike they don't at all.

cheers.

20150803_112534[1].jpg

20150810_150802[1].jpg

20150810_150734[1].jpg

Creative. I think the LSL bar kit for 550
Looks better . you have almost half what the lsl
Runs . it also comes with all lines , bars , parts needed.

Very creative. Nice to see a new take on an idea that has been around for so long.

Creative. I think the LSL bar kit for 550
Looks better . you have almost half what the lsl
Runs . it also comes with all lines , bars , parts needed.
LSL kit is great, switched their bars for cheap msr steel bars in a car high bend. I got it for like 330 shipped

image.jpg

image.jpg

Back