Raditor Fans on a turbo bike. How you keeping things cool.

v8killr4u

Registered
How many of you are running fans on your turbo bike. I have a NLR turbo header and it doesn't seem like the stock fan set up is going to work; this is on a GEN 2 Busa. I know a lot of you guys are running on the street and assume all of you are running fans. I know most of you are running RCC kits, so maybe those headers allow the stock fans to fit?

I would like to hear what you guys are doing to keep the temps down and what you guys are doing to run the fans. Any pics would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Gen 1
Ghetto stage 1 kit
Stock fan does the job. It gets pretty hot in Australia, and I've never had it overheating

Not that i've a turbo busa but i do a lot of turbo engine testing and the simplest thing to do would be get the radiator resized and recored to allow for the extra heat absorption needed....do the same with the oil cooler...nothing to stop both of them being deeper front-back and just lightly trim the front inner wing panels.
All that stuffs already off the bike to get the engine work done and the cooler you keep it the longer it will last and once done it allow future upgrades to the engine without looking at the cooling again ( assuming theres allowances made when getting the radiator sized ).
You can just bolt a big fan on and hope it works for your situation but the stock radiator is sized to handle the bike output plus about 20% extra heat from wherever...power/hot weather/traffic etc...only so much coolant can be cooled per second as such in that radiator.

Not that i've a turbo busa but i do a lot of turbo engine testing and the simplest thing to do would be get the radiator resized and recored to allow for the extra heat absorption needed....do the same with the oil cooler...nothing to stop both of them being deeper front-back and just lightly trim the front inner wing panels.
All that stuffs already off the bike to get the engine work done and the cooler you keep it the longer it will last and once done it allow future upgrades to the engine without looking at the cooling again ( assuming theres allowances made when getting the radiator sized ).
You can just bolt a big fan on and hope it works for your situation but the stock radiator is sized to handle the bike output plus about 20% extra heat from wherever...power/hot weather/traffic etc...only so much coolant can be cooled per second as such in that radiator.

IMO, getting the radiator "resized" is not the simplest thing to do, and does not address the op's issue. For the record, the stock radiator on a Busa does NOT have an issue keeping the bike cool - even with an Ultra kit an an extra heat exchanger blocking half of it. Here is what I suggest for the op: move your stock fan into a position on the stock radiator where it does not interfere with the Velocity head pipe; and add an extra fan - which POWERHOUSE sells. We keep these in stock for all our turbo boys and girls, this is the one GNBRETT is referring to. It's small (5 1/2" diameter) and kicks a** as far as flow is concerned. You can even put it on a separate switch if you want, to cool the bike down after you turn off the ignition:

cooling_fan___mo_4922c3f04abb3_160x160.jpg

Last edited:
Back