Radiator fin damage,

grabntwist

The one who started it all
Donating Member
Registered
I can't help but to notice my radiator fins looking like sh*t every time I look at my bike. I figured I would have my pipe put on by my cycle shop because they would avoid bangin' the radiator up and they destroyed it. I had the pipe put on a long time ago and It wouldn't be worth it to even bring it up to the shop.

I don't have any mechanical problems with it. It just looks like crap and its noticible. Any suggestions on straightening the fins out? A friend suggested a radiator comb, but only one's I could find were for a automotive application. They were to large.

<!--EDIT|grabntwist
Reason for Edit: None given...|1076719448 -->

The fins are really soft, ID try cutting a piece out of a regular plastic comb. You can also find some radiator covers out on the web. Just metal screen to put in front to prevent rocks and bugs from damaging it. Might also try screening in behind the radiators on the sides of the fairings. I keep shooing folks out of there, they just HAVE to F'n touch...

straight bladed screw driver is the best thing to straighten em out.
wink.gif

Thanks fellas, I ground down a small set of needle nose pliers so that the tips were thin and flat. I improved the apearance quite a bit. Here is a post that has a pic of the radiator before I straightened the fins out.  Should I be this bent over the radiator? Is it a common thing to see them banged up on the Busa?

<!--EDIT|grabntwist
Reason for Edit: None given...|1076808894 -->

Auto parts stores sell a small, inexpensive hand tool that consists of three sets of "fingers" that can be used to straighten the fins on any type of automotive radiator.

Ed

I am glad you got yours straightened out. Thanks for giving me something else to be picky about, now I am going to have to clean, adjust, and put some screen over mine now.
biggrin.gif

I have noticed mine everytime that i look down there. On mine the front is ok but the back side of the radiator is all banged up (exhaust changes) I used a flat head screwdriver to straighten them out.

I need to get the screen up on mine to keep the rocks and feces out of it as well. I covered the radiator on my last bike after cleaning it up and it went for ever without messing up.

patience is all it takes get the tool from the parts store though it will make them even im in the same boat it only take one or two time of putting your hand in that area to mess them up only prob is im the monkey to blame for mine and by the time i had two center bolts off the header mine was messed up i did then take the rad out of the way but damage was all ready done and my patience is low right now so ill look at the mess for awhile good luck with your PATIENCE LOTS OF PATIENCE
smile.gif

replace it with a muzzy fan. about $35 + shipping its more durable and is suppose to produce better results

Back