Radar Detector Isolation

slime

Registered
Just wondering why I get display "spikes" in my V1. I have it hard wired into the spare plug (low beam side) under the fairing. I had this issue on another bike, but it was wired to the battery. Just if anybody else has run into this problem? It 's not related to engine rpm, just random pulses on the arrows and dots? Just like some kind of electrical leakage.

Bruh, I was just wondering how do you connect it to your battery! Do they come with different types of leads? Instead of the normal plug in to the 12v lighter type?

Valentine has a hard wire kit that splices into the wiring. On other bikes I had a "lighter" plug with the adapter pluged into that. This one gets it's power from the unused plug behind the headlight.

Can you post pix of your V1 set up? which lead in the telephone cord is the power one? What about ground? Do you use the audio in full blast? Can you hear it at speed? Or do you have a visual indicator as well?

I have a V1 and would like to mount it but Im not sure how to power it. I dont want to go through the bother of powering it if I cant hear/see a signal. I wear ear plugs on all rides.

Thanks.

I recently hooked up my V1, I can hear it up to about 80mph with earplugs. Using a stemstand with velcro and a strap.

The V1 has a port on the side, but my headphones don't fit, its a smaller plug than standard headphones. Can you buy an adapter?

You may have a loose connection with your phone plug connector. I had the same problem either caused from vibrations or by me  unplugging and plugging it in so much. I just used dental floss to pull each contact pin back up some  to make a snug contact like new. To avoid any more problem like this I just leave the V1 connected on the bike all the time. So far after a yr and no problem with it flickering.

You may have a loose connection with your phone plug connector. I had the same problem either caused from vibrations or by me �unplugging and plugging it in so much. I just used dental floss to pull each contact pin back up some �to make a snug contact like new. To avoid any more problem like this I just leave the V1 connected on the bike all the time. So far after a yr and no problem with it flickering.

<!--EDIT|Rhythm|1191450899-->
But it only does this on the bike. In the car it's fine. Also, which pins are you pulling up, in the v1 itself?

Can you post pix of your V1 set up? which lead in the telephone cord is the power one? What about ground? Do you use the audio in full blast? Can you hear it at speed? Or do you have a visual indicator as well?

I have a V1 and would like to mount it but Im not sure how to power it. I dont want to go through the bother of powering it if I cant hear/see a signal. I wear ear plugs on all rides.

Thanks.
You can buy the hard wire power plug from valentine. The 2center wires are the hot and ground. Don't remember which is which. Also, you can get the remote display that plugs inline (smaller display w/arrows) that I have between the dash and the windshield. My v1 is inside my tank bag, so I can't hear it at speed, but can see the remote. My earphone (speaker) plug does not work, so I 'm not able to plug it into my autocom. I will have to send it back to the factory for repair. Other than that, works great!

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s251/Shibumi_2007/DSC05646.jpg

Here's my $40 version!

Put a fuse box in the trunk with a lighter socket and a splitter to accomodate GPS & radar detector.
winkold.gif

Fuse1.JPG

drfbusa, I'm not sophisticated enough to know how to inset a previous message like I see some of you do, but if you look at the business end of the plug the center left wire is hot and the center right is ground. I use a stem mount for the V1 with a remote mounted just under the lip of the windshield, and the alert light always catches my attention.

V1_Remote.jpg

You may have a loose connection with your phone plug connector. I had the same problem either caused from vibrations or by me �unplugging and plugging it in so much. I just used dental floss to pull each contact pin back up some �to make a snug contact like new. To avoid any more problem like this I just leave the V1 connected on the bike all the time. So far after a yr and no problem with it flickering.

<!--EDIT|Rhythm|1191450899-->
But it only does this on the bike. In the car it's fine. Also, which pins are you pulling up, in the v1 itself?
Exactly,the V1 doesn't shake or vibrate in a car anyway near when being used on a bike. Also, I lifted all of the contacts to be sure.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s251/Shibumi_2007/DSC05646.jpg

Here's my $40 version!  

Put a fuse box in the trunk with a lighter socket and a splitter to accomodate GPS & radar detector.  
winkold.gif
Mine is hardwired the same way using an eight input marine fuse block. Slime, is probably having the same issue I had with my phone plug connector contacts where the cord plugs into. Combined plugging and uplugging with road vibrations more than likely contributed to a loose contact with one of the pins inside the V1. Simply solution is to lift the contact pins,I used dental floss. Since, I haven't had any more problem, along with just leaving it connected to the bike.

Back