Racial jokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightCrawler

Love all. Trust a few. Do wrong to none.
Donating Member
Registered
I'm asking this because I'm seeing quite a few racial "jokes" being tossed around here by those who aren't of that race. Now I don't mind for the most part but when its done by the same person over and over again, it kinda makes me wonder.

Remember the film "White Men Can't Jump" ... the director of that film was asked if he thought he could make a movie called "Black Men Can't Swim" and get away with it. He said, "No, but Spike Lee could". Obviously he knows taking shots at your own race isn't really frowned upon, but when you pop off at others it'll create conflict.

Even if I was white and married to a latin female, I still don't think it'll give me the right to post jokes about latins ... joke to her maybe ... but not shout it out to the world. What I mean is I don't think marrying a latin female gives one the right to call the rest of her race "spics"', nor marrying a black girl gives you the right to say the "N" word. Although those words haven't been used in the "jokes", insulting one's race is still an insult ... be it done politely or rudely.

All I'm saying is that this is supposed to be a family orientated site, and I see these "jokes" as nothing more than stereotypical BS. If these "jokes" were told at school to students by their teachers, I doubt it'll sit well with the parents.

So, I should be insulted by all the jokes about Stupid Rednecks and Hillbilly jokes and such...
All are about Anglo's. As a matter of fact, most jokes are about Anglo's in one way or another...
For instance...
Blond jokes...
As a rule, most Blonds are Anglo/Caucasion...
But I'm okay with that, cause Blond jokes are usually funny...
But ya know what, I am the first to laugh at any joke...
No matter who or what it's about...
life is to short to always be trying to make everything into a race issue...
Make all the jokes you want about Texas, Rednecks. Pickup trucks, Bubba jokes, etc, etc, etc...
I'll read em and laugh, since I can relate to most of them...

David

Personally I dont like any racial jokes.

As a mod usually if I see them I delete them.

I definatley delete stuff like that if I get even one complaint

(thrasherfox @ Oct. 13 2006,13:26) Personally I dont like any racial jokes.

What makes a joke racial...
Because a joke is about a White person...
Does that make it racial...
And if a joke is about a Black person, again, does that make it racial...
Lets be clear...
Where do you draw the line...

David

Calm down Spigga, they are only jokes. Here in South Texas it's a little different. Everybody down here is Tejano. No matter what color one might be, they are influenced by the culture down here. It's just the atmosphere. It's not that Devious hates Mexicans, he just thinks the jokes are funny because he understands the true meaning of them. Obviously he loves mexican females. I don't think anybody means to insult one's race here. If you are offended, just don't open up his posts. Easily fixed. I can relate to his jokes and I think they are funny. Keep 'em coming.

(Devious @ Oct. 13 2006,14:24) So, I should be insulted by all the jokes about Stupid Rednecks and Hillbilly jokes and such...
To say what someone "should" be offended by is a matter of opinion. What I'm saying is a black or hispanic person spitting out redneck jokes all the time will eventually be looked down on.
All are about Anglo's. As a matter of fact, most jokes are about Anglo's in one way or another...[/Quote]
And are usually TOLD by Anglo's.
For instance...
Blond jokes...
As a rule, most Blonds are Anglo/Caucasion...
But I'm okay with that, cause Blond jokes are usually funny...
But ya know what, I am the first to laugh at any joke...
No matter who or what it's about...
life is to short to always be trying to make everything into a race issue...
Make all the jokes you want about Texas, Rednecks. Pickup trucks, Bubba jokes, etc, etc, etc...
I'll read em and laugh, since I can relate to most of them...

David[/Quote]
Good for you ... but not everyone is like you. Just like I don't have a problem with illegal immigrants but you do. To each their own. All I'm saying is what brings us together here on Hayabusa.org is our love for bikes. Why throw something in here that'll seperate some of us?

You and I do not make up the majority of this board. When a post is made, the feelings of others should be taken into consideration. Did it ever occur to you that a Mexican may view the word "Chicano" the same way a black person may view "******"? Sure it may not offend you when someone jokes and says "Cracker", but I doubt it'll sit very well with others.

(Devious @ Oct. 13 2006,14:30)

Lets be clear...

David
I know you asked thrasher but I'll step in.

Simply put, a racial joke is a joke told by a person not of the race the joke is being made about.

(NVeeus04 @ Oct. 13 2006,14:37) Calm down Spigga, they are only jokes.  Here in South Texas it's a little different.  Everybody down here is Tejano.  No matter what color one might be, they are influenced by the culture down here.  It's just the atmosphere.  It's not that Devious hates Mexicans, he just thinks the jokes are funny because he understands the true meaning of them.  Obviously he loves mexican females.  I don't think anybody means to insult one's race here.  If you are offended, just don't open up his posts.  Easily fixed.  I can relate to his jokes and I think they are funny.  Keep 'em coming.
It doesn't offend me ... but who's to say it won't offend others? Too many times I have seen this board become seperated due to racial issues ... the time after Katrina is a perfect example.

Its good that it doesn't offend you, but you aren't the only person on this board and not everyone on this board lives in your "atmosphere".

And about me not opening his post being an easy fix ... its not about me, its about the board. If that was the case I would be able to post naked women showing pink as long as I place a warning of the topic's content in the topic itself. It doesn't work that way.

This board being founded the way it is, I simply feel racial jokes, or topics for that matter, have no place here. Its just too sensitive of a subject.

There was a topic put up here about pro-choice or pro-life which was quickly locked. We may have our beliefs as to which we choose, but the mod who locked it knew what chaos that discussion would bring.

I guess I've been missing the racial jokes...I have deleted one or two in the past and wondered about one or two here and there, but others always chime in saying "oh no, it's funny and I'm 'insert the race here' and don't mind"...

It pretty much does have to come down to what offends someone.  If something like a joke does offend, by all means, let the mods know...we'll take care of it.  No need for drama on this board, just good conversation...if something in particular is bothering you, let someone else know so we can take care of it...
smile.gif

(Spigga @ Oct. 13 2006,13:41)

Lets be clear...

David

Simply put, a racial joke is a joke told by a person not of the race the joke is being made about.
I post jokes about everybody...
Usually as they are sent to me...
Regardless of what the joke is...
If I can laugh at it, then I send it on...
I never even consider the context, just if it is funny or not...
I don't think about race as an issue...
Never have, never will...
I don't care if your Black, White, Brown, Yellow, Green or any other color out there...
In my eyes you are just another person to me...
If you want to make everything I say/post into a race issue, go ahead...
But I'm still gonna laugh at any and all jokes posted...
Perhaps I should complain about any future jokes posted if they, in any way, are about Anglo's...

Seems kinda pathetic to me...
Try and find the humor in the joke and stop looking for a reason to scream RACISM...

I am all for laughing at ourselves...honestly, if you can't laugh at yourself or take a joke, I think you walk around with a huge chip on your shoulder that dictates too much in your day-to-day life...

Having said that, if something is posted is truly offensive, I don't like making others uncomfortable. We're not about that here, it only leads to controversy...

(Devious @ Oct. 13 2006,14:50)

Lets be clear...

David

I don't care if your Black, White, Brown, Yellow, Green or any other color out there...
Perhaps I should complain about any future jokes posted if they, in any way, are about Anglo's...

Try and find the humor in the joke and stop looking for a reason to scream RACISM...
I'll ask you this and leave it alone. A simple yes or no would do.

Do you feel racial jokes belong on this board?

PS:
Its a good thing you see content in a joke and only the content. In that aspect I wish everyone could be like you. but that just isn't the case.

Nice to see you side-stepped my original question though. You remember which one? If not, I'll remind you:
Did it ever occur to you that a Mexican may view the word "Chicano" the same way a black person may view "******"?

(VaBusa @ Oct. 13 2006,14:57) We're not about that here, it only leads to controversy...
That's all I'm trying to get through to Devious. Its not about me, its about this board.

Devious:
I don't want you to think I have an issue with you because I don't. Your jokes don't even offend me. Your jokes may not be a problem now, but I'd rather put on my seatbelt before I begin driving than to put it on after I've already wrecked.
wink.gif

Gentlemen,
This has strong potential to spin wildly out of control (and in my opinion already is). My .02 for what it is worth:
What constitutes a racial joke? A joke that singles out a particular race, regardless of who tells the joke.
Do they belong here? That is not for one person to decide (unless that one person is CAp). The simple rule is that is someone complains, then the post/pic/thread goes away, provided that it isn't just because someone doesn't like it. But let us examine the issues as presented. Devious has stated that there is no malicious intent, he posts the jokes because he believes they are funny and is encouraged by others to post them.
I would be curious to know if anyone has questioned Spigga's choice in screen names? As a person with slight hispanic decent and married to a Spanish (Nicaraguan) woman, I am not sure how much I like the connotation carried with that word... my question, is if it were qustioned would it be changed?

I am not issuing opinion here, but I agree with Ron, sometimes things get through on the board because the Mods don't see them or because the Mods think the issue is close, but not neccessarilly over the line. In those cases, members usualy set us straight by reporting posts.

It may have been easier to have handled this by reporting a post that to start a specific topic about what was going on. That is not said to be critical, it is said becuase Spigga made a great point about how non-bike related things sometimes slip the board into groups, but this will do the same, splittin gthose who want the jokes, versus those who don't. Please feel free to discuss this, but know that if it becomes disrespectful and shots get fires across someone's bow, I'll yank the thread; in other words, please play nice.

I honestly don't think Devious means harm in the jokes, or that those who respond are feeding racial hatred undertones.
I also, don't feel that Spigga is simply starting fires, I think he is trying to identify a potential problem while it is still potential.

No one wants this to be a completely sterile environment - but it does need to be an environment where all members feel welcome, until individual members prove themsleves capable of conducting themselves as such...

rant.gif

(Spigga @ Oct. 13 2006,13:58)
(Devious @ Oct. 13 2006,14:50)

Lets be clear...

David

I'll ask you this and leave it alone. A simple yes or no would do.

Do you feel racial jokes belong on this board?

PS:
Its a good thing you see content in a joke and only the content. In that aspect I wish everyone could be like you. but that just isn't the case.

Nice to see you side-stepped my original question though. You remember which one? If not, I'll remind you:
Did it ever occur to you that a Mexican may view the word "Chicano" the same way a black person may view "******"?
No, I did not sidestep as you say...
I did just what you asked, a simple yes or know answer...
And it is still no...
Now as to the other question...
I don't think like that at all, ever...
You can call me a Redneck all day long and I will never even consider that your really calling me a Honky, Cracker, Gringo or any number of Racist names you might have for an Anglo person...
Jeez, I'm just a plain ole American...

David

Sorry to drop out of this but, I'm heading out...
59 today...
Have a great weekend yous guys...

David

lurk.gif
I love jokes as much as the next person but if the are not funny to someone then they are not a joke to them.

I wasnt going to chime in on this one but I think we just need to agree to watch how touchy some jokes may be and I think the mods do this.

I for one think Dave Chappell has very funny white jokes and they do not offend me, but that is my opinion. I feel there are more jokes directed at the nerdy white guy than anyone else in the world. Just .02 worth
beerchug.gif

(Spigga @ Oct. 13 2006,15:04)
(VaBusa @ Oct. 13 2006,14:57) We're not about that here, it only leads to controversy...
That's all I'm trying to get through to Devious. Its not about me, its about this board.

Devious:
I don't want you to think I have an issue with you because I don't. Your jokes don't even offend me. Your jokes may not be a problem now, but I'd rather put on my seatbelt before I begin driving than to put it on after I've already wrecked.
wink.gif
I'll have to agree with Shawn up there...no point in bringing this to light in an open forum because exactly WHAT YOU'RE TRYING TO AVOID will invariably occur...

If you're offended by something IN PARTICULAR, speak to a mod via PM and the post is gone...if others are offended, they are strongly encouraged to do the same...bringing it out in an open forum does nothing more than fuel a very hot fire that we, as a group here, generally avoid...

This thread will be locked if things get ugly...if you have something personal against Devious, take it to the PMs.  If you feel you need to protect the masses, remember the masses here do a damn good job of that already by talking to the mods and admin when something's not quite right...

No offense to anyone, but this topic is pointless...
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back