Raced a BossHoss today

bajabug

Registered
His ride= big chevy v-8, dual nos bottles, 12" wide Slick, and a whole lot of show.

Me= basically stock busa

Race= Pathetic!!! it was the funniest race in a while. It started on a clover leaf, im trailing him at about 15 mph(the fastest he could take the turn, being that he had a flat tire on a street bike...), we get going straight and he gets the jump, i just left it in second and passed his fat arse like he wasnt even moving...i hope for his sake be didnt bother spraying and wasteing the juice

i really had higher hopes for his bike and maybe a decent race. but no, the busa still on top
smile.gif

Matt

I would have expected more from the boss hog.  But then again it is a harley, are you sure all the cyclinders were firing  
tounge.gif

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1112584556 -->

I don't think he was really on it. I saw a video of a Boss Hoss doing a rolling burnout over a block long. It was pretty impresive.

I would have expected more from the boss hog.  But then again it is a harley, are you sure all the cyclinders were firing  
tounge.gif
Uhhhhh, you're mistaken, the boss hogg has a v-8 car engine on it. I'm fairly sure the juice wasnt used,would have been much closer depending on how he's geared.

I sincerely don't think he even tried. The small block chevy version puts out 350 HP to a 900 pund bike ( weight is an estimate from memory!) The big block version puts out 502 HP. Add Nitrous and you've got a Fuggin Land Rocket!
I personally followed a pack of three in Daytona 2 years ago. we were going 65 mph and they all did rolling burnouts for about 100 feet with nothing but the throttle. A boss hoss is gonna be my next stable mate for the Busa and the Harley. And Charles...Its more Chevy than Harley 'cause it has no Harley parts on it and it is made by Boss Hoss.:D

Just wanted to add a little (ok, a book) to this one. I've had 4 Boss Hoss bikes and two trikes. All bigblocks (GM ZZ502) with the exception of my wife's '63 Vette trike which was a ZZ4 (350 smallblock). Currently have a highly modified V8Chopper (see v8choppers.com) and an '05 'Busa, '05 BMW.

First, Boss Hoss is NOT a Harley. It is a privately owned company out of Dyersberg, Tenn. Largest mfg of V8 bikes and trikes with a current production of appx. 250 units p/yr.

Are you from Minnesota? The guys who are running up there mostly bought from Marv Jorgensen from Chopper City Sports in Fridley. Marv has some very badass 800+ hp bikes and is one of the few that are really accomplished riders. Marv,like me, is an old guy and has a few world records including snowmobiles. He sells a lot of nitrous sleds. Very cool guy. Most of the guys he does Boss Hoss modifications for end up with an 18" rear wheel and big car tire vs the OEM wheel which is 15" with a 230 Avon. I had tried one of Marv's rear wheels with a 285 Sumitomo (Viper tire) and it sucks beyond belief for anything other than straightline. My buds would give me a real wide berth on those interstate cloverleafs you refer to, hee hee. The guy was actually able to get up to 15 mph?!

I had posted on another thread much of this info including a run between a ZX12R and a bigblock Boss Hoss. It was the BH factory guys and the results were embarrassing. Not a good race from any speed. The 12R kicked it's ass. It was deserved as the head honcho at Boss Hoss was extolling the Boss as the fastest production bike on earth. "Buulllllshiiittt".

99% of the guys riding Bosses with NOS bottles are all show and no go. I've met a bunch that are skeeered $hitless of getting into the secondaries no less hitting it with a 150 horse nitrous shot. No, the guy you came across was probably on a stock setup, short of nads, and not giving it a squirt or it would have been close.

We run Bosses and V8Choppers at the track here in SW Florida a few Fridays of each month. Some of us (like yours truly) also have other bikes like 'Busas. Here is the for real skinny...

Any STOCK Boss Hoss, whether bigblock or smallblock, cannot touch a ZX12R, ZX11, GSXR1000, or certainly not a 'Busa. Even the modified motors such as a stroker (383) smallblock or stroker bigblock (540), won't come close from a roll. From a launch, it's a joke. Wheel spin, especially on the bigblock puts up a bunch of smoke but no linear acceleration. My FJR1300, with the saddlebags still on and brand new, beat a stock smallblock Boss repeatedly at the track. We video'd just to ice down some of the Boss owners that thought their bikes were the fastest thing on the planet. Here's the real numbers guys....a stock smallblock Boss, 1/8th mile = low to mid 7's. A bigblock isn't much faster and only occasionally will get into the very high 6's. I've seen stock 'Busas at the same track doing mid 6's consistently. These are with accomplished riders. I've seen bigblock Boss bikes running mid 8's due to poor hook-up. No shifting as we go through the 1/8th in first. No gearing issues as there are only 2 sprockets and only 2 teeth different.

We have convincingly beat R1's, 'Busa's, and others when spraying a "good" Boss and from a roll. When I say "good", that doesn't resemble factory jobs. We throw out the Edelbrock carb, change the fuel pump, change the ignition, and adding at very least a Sniper nitrous setup with a minimum of 125 hp.

Just thought I'd set the record straight as I've had 4 years of experience with the V8 bikes and a number of other bikes. No wonder I have a 'Busa in the garage eh?! Best,

Elliot

sounds like he was just accelerating outta the turn and you went WFO.. he was probably snickering at ya for WFO'ing it like some teeny bopper.

I know I don't normally do anything with all the ricers go by at about 80 on the interstate and you can hear em' windin' em out thinking they are doing something.

some new guy on teh site has had several of them (V8 bikes) and I'm sure he'll chime in with an opinion. reading what he wrote the busa will indeed beat it.. but you ain't gonna destroy it like a harley.

I love listening to those harley guys that have done "alot of work" to it.. I don't know what they harley shop did to it but it's got all kindsa screamin eaglette parts on it now so it's probably 200 horsepower or something along those line. those little crotch rockets don't even mess with me!

hehe,, uhh thats because they realize it's no race dude..

but just let me keep thinkin they bad.

Thanks for the write up on the bikes, some interesting stuff. and yes from what i could see it had alot of chrome and some nice paint. so most likely it was not a pavement pounder. im preety sure they weight quite a bit more than 900 lbs.

Really funny watching him turn though, balanceing it on the edge of a flat auto tire...
smile.gif

Just wanted to add a little (ok, a book) to this one. I've had 4 Boss Hoss bikes and two trikes. All bigblocks (GM ZZ502) with the exception of my wife's '63 Vette trike which was a ZZ4 (350 smallblock). Currently have a highly modified V8Chopper (see v8choppers.com) and an '05 'Busa, '05 BMW.

First, Boss Hoss is NOT a Harley. It is a privately owned company out of Dyersberg, Tenn. Largest mfg of V8 bikes and trikes with a current production of appx. 250 units p/yr.

Are you from Minnesota? The guys who are running up there mostly bought from Marv Jorgensen from Chopper City Sports in Fridley. Marv has some very badass 800+ hp bikes and is one of the few that are really accomplished riders. Marv,like me, is an old guy and has a few world records including snowmobiles. He sells a lot of nitrous sleds. Very cool guy. Most of the guys he does Boss Hoss modifications for end up with an 18" rear wheel and big car tire vs the OEM wheel which is 15" with a 230 Avon. I had tried one of Marv's rear wheels with a 285 Sumitomo (Viper tire) and it sucks beyond belief for anything other than straightline. My buds would give me a real wide berth on those interstate cloverleafs you refer to, hee hee. The guy was actually able to get up to 15 mph?!

I had posted on another thread much of this info including a run between a ZX12R and a bigblock Boss Hoss. It was the BH factory guys and the results were embarrassing. Not a good race from any speed. The 12R kicked it's ass. It was deserved as the head honcho at Boss Hoss was extolling the Boss as the fastest production bike on earth. "Buulllllshiiittt".

99% of the guys riding Bosses with NOS bottles are all show and no go. I've met a bunch that are skeeered $hitless of getting into the secondaries no less hitting it with a 150 horse nitrous shot. No, the guy you came across was probably on a stock setup, short of nads, and not giving it a squirt or it would have been close.

We run Bosses and V8Choppers at the track here in SW Florida a few Fridays of each month. Some of us (like yours truly) also have other bikes like 'Busas. Here is the for real skinny...

Any STOCK Boss Hoss, whether bigblock or smallblock, cannot touch a ZX12R, ZX11, GSXR1000, or certainly not a 'Busa. Even the modified motors such as a stroker (383) smallblock or stroker bigblock (540), won't come close from a roll. From a launch, it's a joke. Wheel spin, especially on the bigblock puts up a bunch of smoke but no linear acceleration. My FJR1300, with the saddlebags still on and brand new, beat a stock smallblock Boss repeatedly at the track. We video'd just to ice down some of the Boss owners that thought their bikes were the fastest thing on the planet. Here's the real numbers guys....a stock smallblock Boss, 1/8th mile = low to mid 7's. A bigblock isn't much faster and only occasionally will get into the very high 6's. I've seen stock 'Busas at the same track doing mid 6's consistently. These are with accomplished riders. I've seen bigblock Boss bikes running mid 8's due to poor hook-up. No shifting as we go through the 1/8th in first. No gearing issues as there are only 2 sprockets and only 2 teeth different.

We have convincingly beat R1's, 'Busa's, and others when spraying a "good" Boss and from a roll. When I say "good", that doesn't resemble factory jobs. We throw out the Edelbrock carb, change the fuel pump, change the ignition, and adding at very least a Sniper nitrous setup with a minimum of 125 hp.

Just thought I'd set the record straight as I've had 4 years of experience with the V8 bikes and a number of other bikes. No wonder I have a 'Busa in the garage eh?! Best,

Elliot
Hey, thanks for the great write-up on the Hoss. I've always wanted one of those in my stable as well. I'm always amazed every year at Bike Week when I see the size, sound, looks, power, audacity, etc. of all the Hoss's there. I still don't get it why someone would pay 40k for a lame chopper when they could get a beast like the Boss Hoss. It may not be the fastest, but it will always turn more heads than the Busa. I love my Busa, but life is too short for just one bike. Santa, are you reading this? ? ?

Warbrown,

You just hit the biggest nail on the head. They do indeed turn heads. A lot of the guys who have them get the biggest satisfaction from the ohhhh's and ahhhh's more than the performance. I also agree and wonder why some folks pay $40k and WAY more for some of the tutti frutti choppers out there when they can have a V8. The guys I hang with here in SW Florida like the attention and the attitude of these bikes but we also like to run the snot out them. Unfortunately, that means half the time they're in pieces in our garages. Long story there especially with respect to the tranny issues.

The weight btw... 1,100 lbs for the smallblock and 1,300 for the bigblocks. Some of the guys running all aluminum motors shave almost 200 lbs from those dry totals. My latest, a V8 chopper weighs in at about 900 lbs and will knock the snot out of any bigblock Boss.

Still and all guys, most fun ride.....'Busa!

Elliot

nice write up... I am saving a copy of this thread...
biggrin.gif
My Uncle is always trying to say that the boss hoss would kick my ass... Well, I feel much more confident now it won't! hahahaha :o

Cloud

tounge.gif
Uhhhhh, you're mistaken, the boss hogg has a v-8 car engine on it. I'm fairly sure the juice wasnt used,would have been much closer depending on how he's geared.
yeah yeah yeah, its got the V8

unless its a chopper i consdier all fat cruisers to be harleys. i didn't mean it was a 2 cylinder harley.....

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1112660263 -->

Elliot
I'm curious Boss.....I would think that if the Hoss could hook up it would spank a Busa due to its superior hp to weight ratio.....are they getting beat by bikes because they can't get traction? Too hard to control under acceleration? Or are they just plain getting outmuscled by the bikes?

Traction is for sure a real big problem. Especially the bigblock. The only thing that's working half good is the Nitto street/strip tire. It's a 15" car tire with a really soft compound. The bigblock can still toast it.

GM's claims (and subsequently, Boss Hoss) about hp are a bit optimistic. The ZZ502 claims the same hp as displacement but Sallee Chevrolet and a couple of other noteable sources don't see 502 crank hp out of it. It is however, capable of a bunch of serious horse. The GM Performance heads and the rather mild cam in the crate 502 can be replaced for some real big hp. My '01 bigblock with some header, ignition and carb modifications showed an avg of 323 RWHP on a DynoJet dyno. That's a long way from the claimed 502 and my bike was modified.

The ZZ4 on the otherhand, is pretty mild to begin with. Chevy is again making claims of 355 crank hp on the crate ZZ4 (350 smallblock) which quite frankly is anything but exciting on the Boss. There is a significant loss of hp through the drivetrain and the tranny depending on converter used and it just isn't able to transfer the amount of hp you may expect. Without a nitrous shot (at least 125 hp), they're just uninspiring and as I've mentioned, I've done better times on the mellow Yamaha FJR1300 than a stock 350 Boss.

That's the story. The diehard Boss guys would like to shoot me or $hit on me for blowing the reality whistle but I'm not into the BS that some of those guys believe about their bikes. Ironic that a number of the guys who think they have the fastest bikes on the planet haven't done much more than profiled at the bike get-togethers and bars. I love V8 bikes and have had them since early '01 and continue to enjoy them today but...I love seeing something with half the jugs and a quarter the price kick their a$$ every now and then.

Elliot

Back