Race Tech Dash / AMS 1000 panel ..

airborneuph

Registered
Just finished my summer long project up, trying to fit Greg Smiths Race Tech dash and my AMS 1000 into a panel that fits neatly and reliably into the space of the existing Gen I Hayabusa dash .. Initially, after measuring things up against the dimensions of the stock dash, I wasn't convinced it would fit .. The AMS unit extends to either side of the display, and as a result, it's tight in there .. But it's finished, it's nicely done, uses the same mounting grommets and bolts as the stock dash, and it works perfectly . Took a bit of trimming of the stock fairing mount to clear the wire harness, but really very little .. No butchery involved . Electronics all snap together with plugs, both from the very nice adapters that Greg makes up, and from the wiring harness that I made for the AMS, so it's all easily removable, just unplug everything and the dash comes out with four bolts .. The original dash uses just two bolts on the bottom and tabs that press through rubber grommets at the top. On mine, I machined and threaded the aluminum tabs that are welded to the aluminum baseplate so they bolt in securely on the top as well as the bottom ..

If anyone is interested in making one of these for themselves, I'm more than willing to assist .. I can probably save you some time based on the mistakes and changes that I ran up against along the way .. I have a folder full of templates I can copy and email you if needed .. Plus
20210806_151311.jpg

I have a couple of extra aluminum overlays which I'd be willing to part with at cost ..

20210823_134106.jpg

Or, if you'd prefer to (plasma/arc) cut it yourself, here's a link to the (.dxf) file;

20210830_124229.jpg
20210831_182414.jpg

Here's something I forgot to mention in the original post .. I'd been displaying boost and a/f with these digital (Innovate MTX) displays . But, since I'm not using them anymore, and I hate packing so enough to change, just unscrew the bezel and find yourself another, clear, piece of plastic to cut and fit in place of the discolored ones .. They're actually not as bad as they look in the picture. They chain into a digital output from one of the many Innovate products, and they're programmable with Innovate LM programmer software to accommodate whatever it is you want to display on them .. They can also be chained together (as I had them) to display different functions on the same data stream .. Nice gauges, they work perfectly, I've had them on the bike for years ..
Anyway, if you have a "real" need for these, they're yours, free .. All I need is a shipping address .. But, hah, there's a catch .. I want a picture of the bike, with something that I specify in the picture so that I know it's your bike and not a picture that you pulled off the internet .. Tell me why you need them and what you're using the bike for, and I'll get them in the mail to you .. Just trying to avoid the "oh, it's free, I want them" possibility .. I'd much prefer that they go to a landspeed guy who can put them to the good use they were intended for .. Sound reasonable ? Convince me, and they're yours .. By the way, these things were over $200 each when I bought them way back when, so if I sound like I'm asking for too much when I say "convince me", factor that in before you criticize me ...
1630600240849.jpeg

But, since I'm not using them anymore, and I hate packing so enough to change, just unscrew the bezel and find yourself another, clear, piece of plastic to cut and fit in place of the discolored ones ..

For plastic I would do a "headlight restoration" to the lenses. Tape off the chrome, start with a sandpaper that matches the depth of the worst scratches, and work back to the finest grit. It could look like new.

I took one of the indicators apart and removed the protective plastic overlay .. Just a very thin circular plastic disc .. Polished it with some machine glaze on a rag and it came up nice and clear .. I'm guessing that the fine machine glaze compound is similar to what's used as the final step in the headlamp restoration kits .. Thanks for the suggestion Hayabusa wannabe ..
20211003_150727.jpg

Back