r77 exhaust install help

bruce j

Registered
i am installing a yosh r77 full exhaust this weekend on my 2008.any special tools needed?especially the allen head bolts going into the cylinder head,looks real tight between the fans and header pipes,thanks guys

Follow steps by Yosh and you'll be fine. Some tips from my past DIY:
* get new gaskets (tempting to reuse the old ones but you risk an exhaust leak). NOTE: disregard this if YOSH says NO GASKETS,.
* use needle nose pliers to remove the old gaskets
* check the oil cooler lines (might rub/touch the pipes)
* wrap the fender with a thick towel
* have string handy to secure radiator/fan/oil cooler after you've loosened them
* follow the torque specs

Best of luck.
P.S. No special tools needed but these will come in very handy: hex bit sockets sets (SAE and Metric) from SEARS: 7-pc. Hex Bit Socket Set Metric- Craftsman Evolv-Tools-Auto & Mechanics Tools-Sockets

I reused the old header gaskets ( looked very undamaged to me) and have had no problems at all - about 10,000 miles since my installation.
I had a lot of trouble getting the allen head bolts loose, but finally managed to get the job done. I removed the hex portion of the correct socket on several bolts and then loosened or tightened the bolts with an end wrench that fit the correct size hex shaft I had removed from the socket. I could not get a socket on some of the bolts - there just wasn't enough clearance. It took a long time the way I did it, but I finally got the bolts out of the old header and reinstalled on the new header.

One thing I really liked about the yoshi full system on my gen1, is that it has "spigots" that bolt to the engine, then the pipe is held into the spigots with springs. When you need to remove the pipe for any reason, maintainence on the bike or whatever, you just unhook the springs and pull the pipe off. The gaskets and spigots stay sealed and bolted to the bike. No bolts to torque or gaskets to replace. Super easy removal and re-install :thumbsup:

Take both left and right side plastics off and cover the fender with a towel. Take all the oil cooler and radiator screws out to move them forward but you don't need to actually take the hoses off and remove the radiator completely.I think I left the top screws for the radiator in but loose and just pivoted it forward and held it out of the way with a bungee cord. No gaskets are used on the R77 full system.

I changed my coolant at the same time so I was able unhook the radiator hoses and get it plenty forward and out of the way. For the oil cooler I just cut a piece of cardboard the same size and used a couple bungees to hold it on. Its real easy to beat the fins up on your rad and oil cooler, won't really hurt the functioning unless you bend alot of them, but its not nice to look at :laugh: And you can see the inside of the radiator with the fairings on :banghead: Anything you can drape, tape, or lay over the rad to protect it will minimize bent fins.
Whats cool is you can also see that shiny polished stainless header with the plastics on, adds a little bling to the engine area :thumbsup: You're going to be shocked at the difference in weight between the stock steel header and the very light yoshi stainless piece. Gonna feel like a different bike when you get that exhaust on and the stock anchors and heavy header off :beerchug:

install complete,i did the airbox mod also.everything worked out great.took it out this afternoon,it feels alot lighter in turns,sounds good and it feels faster,again thanks for the great advice

Back