R6 or R1 throttle mod on the 08????????

I thought guys were using the '08 R6 throttle tube... I was going to go get one tomorrow... Is this right???

come on folks chime in here, who knows something about this mod on the 08? I'd really like to do it but don't wont to make a mistake.???

I installed a 2004 Yamaha R1 throttle tube. It has a much shorter twist, feels as though it gets you up to speed much faster. I heard of others putting a R6 tube on which they claim is even shorter but I believe this could work against you and become dangerous. The R1 tube is the bomb for me.

I used the '04 R1 throttle tube. Definately shortened the travel needed to get to WFO. One slight drawback that's not mentioned often is the increased effort needed to twist the throttle. I noticed it immediately after doing the mod. Not an issue around town but if you do any longer trips with it you'll want to add a throttle lock of some kind. I used the Throttlemeister with good results.

I used the '04 R1 throttle tube. Definately shortened the travel needed to get to WFO. One slight drawback that's not mentioned often is the increased effort needed to twist the throttle. I noticed it immediately after doing the mod. Not an issue around town but if you do any longer trips with it you'll want to add a throttle lock of some kind. I used the Throttlemeister with good results.

How difficult was the install of this mod?

How difficult was the install of this mod?

Very easy! The only glitch is that you'll need to take a Dremel to a raised rib on the tube next to the throttle housing that Yamaha uses to help keep the grip on. If you use the Yamaha grips(the tube comes with a grip on it) you don't even need to do this. Be sure to take all the slack out of the cables when you're done. Consider this mod a must if you see any track action. Much easier to get to WFO!

becarefull with taking ALL of the slack out of the throttle. It's there for a reason... after adjusting it turn your handle bars all the way to each side and make sure the throttle still snaps shut in both directions. If the cables are misadjusted the throttle blades will close way to slow.

Very easy! The only glitch is that you'll need to take a Dremel to a raised rib on the tube next to the throttle housing that Yamaha uses to help keep the grip on. If you use the Yamaha grips(the tube comes with a grip on it) you don't even need to do this. Be sure to take all the slack out of the cables when you're done. Consider this mod a must if you see any track action. Much easier to get to WFO!

Back