R1 Wheels

snbusa

Registered
Lighter wheel mod I'm told R1 is best cheap way. Exactly what years; How does it mate up, ie, what axle, bearings, etc will I be using please. Thanks.

I can't link it from my phone... But go to the last thread I posted. It was on this exact mod and our fellow oRg members came through with all the info you need. Awesome people here :)

Pretty much any of the 5 spoke wheels are what you want. I am told the the only difference is in the diameter of the rotors. You use all the R1 parts (rims, bearings, spacers, sprocket carrier, sprocket), except you use a special axle you get from a guy on Psychobike called Chopaleg. You use the stock rear axle, and somewhere I posted how much you have to space the calipers, F&R, but I do not recall off the top of my head.

FWIW, I bought my 08 wheels, tires, bearings, rotors, sprocket and carrier off the R1 forum for $500 shipped! Had like new Michelin Power Pures on them, too!

Last edited:
You have to go to the other forum contact Chopaleg. He makes the axles for Gen1's and Gen2's. The trick is you have to do your research and read the threads because the rotor sizes on the R1 front rims varies depending on the year. There's a ton of info on Psycho Bike forum that lays out the technical details

looks awesome , Wish I would have done this before powder coating my rims

Yeah the 5 star R1 wheels look better than the 3 spoke rims on the busa. The R1 rims are roughly 3lbs lighter too so while they may not be as light as BST's its a quick way to drop 6lbs off your busa and improve the looks/handling of your busa

Yes, its a good way to drop six pounds where it really counts and since I've found someone by me who will powder coat for $100 per wheel I'm gonna have white on white with five spokes and I'm thinking that's gonna look great and handle better too. The one great failing of the white bike is that it disappears into darkness at the wheels. Its gonna cost me a little xtra because I presently have no way of getting the bike up with the wheels off. I'm sure this sounds pansy to some of you but I've never had the fairings off. This will be my biggest project to date. My other option is to wait until winter when my pal Frank at Powerhouse does my turbo; I just had to say that; He's a good guy and generous with his time; Of course the main idea here is me riding a turbo early next year. A pre-teen youngster commented the other day on how strange it was that an old guy like me "fitty" (I'm 58 so took no offense at his guess) was riding a bike like mine "mo powa to ya!" he added. Yup, more power.

I see lots of R1 wheels on ebay front and rear for $200 or less. Does that sound right that there are so many five spoke available?

Back