Cecil_Stringer

Donating Member
Registered
Link to News Article

mead1.jpg

Lakeland Police searching for van in hit-and-run
Thursday, February 17, 2005
Mead died early this year.
Steven Mead loved his motorcycle. He was even part of a Christian motorcycle club.

The last time he rode it was December 22, when a van ran a red light at New Tampa Highway and Airport Road and smashed into Mead. The 44-year-old Mead died about two weeks later.

The driver and several other Hispanic males discarded the van and ran away.

"That's what hurts more than anything, that they ran," said Mead's father, Robert. "They didn't stay and help."

The Chevy van was registered to Hernandez Meliton in Colorado. But authorities have no idea of his whereabouts. All their leads have been dead ends.

On Thursday, Lakeland police officers stopped traffic on New Tampa Highway to hand out fliers about the case, hoping someone may have seen something that leads them to the driver and the other men.

"We're confident that someone here saw what took place and saw who was driving the van and could possibly lead us to that person," Sergeant David Shiver said.

Mead's mother, Sandy, said finding that person is a long shot, but the suspect will face justice one way or the other.
Police hope passing out fliers will lead to a break in the case.

"That person is going to pay either here or when he meets his maker," Mead said. "I can't imagine anyone would want that on their conscience when they die."

But police are hoping distributing the fliers will mean justice now and extra motivation for someone to come forward.

The flier includes a $1,000 reward from Crime Stoppers.

If you have any information, call Polk County Crime Stoppers at (800) 226-TIPS (8477).

That's Bad. Sorry about your friend, I read your first posts about this - I hope they catch the van driver.

That's Bad. Sorry about your friend, I read your first posts about this - I hope they catch the van driver.
Thank you.

Kevin Kesler and Steve were best buddies.
He is probably the one you are thinking of with the previous post... doesn't matter.

You thoughts and prayers are greatly appreciated.

Semper Fidelis,
Cecil out...

I hope they catch these individuals, & I especially hope there is no mercy on them through the Justice system.

<!--EDIT|busahaya
Reason for Edit: None given...|1108752487 -->

punishment fit for the crime , draw and quater by hayabusas ! that just sucks , i hope they find the driver id like to give him a few hits !!!!!!!!!!

I really hope they catch the driver. Drawn and quartered by Busa's? Fitting punishment.

I hope Steve's soul and conscience rode into the next life with the sun shining on him when the impact occurred.

I hope the driver and passengers be dealt slow, painful justice... 2 weeks sounds fair, that's how long Steve seem to have had to endure. Passengers are just about as guilty as the driver. It was the driver's foot on the gas pedal, but it was all that was in the van's intent to let a person die.

Is there actually any justice for someone that would basically leave a person to die? Justice does not seem to be the proper word, seems that retribution might fit better but that's just me. Thoughts and prayers go out to your friend and his family, is good to know he knew where his soul would be headed.
Jay

Back