Quietest Aftermarket pipe?

OB_ICBM

Registered
It seems that all of the aftermarket pipes are about par for the course when it comes to making horsepower and so its really a matter of personnal preference. However, I would like to hear from our members what they think and might have heard is the quietest pipe. Thanks!

The stock cans are about as pitifully quiet as you're gonna get, if that's your preference.

You could, of course, hang a coupla stock mufflers from a Chrysler Concorde on there.

Don't forget the resonators. That way you won't even know whether the engine's running or not. :)

DP,
Regarding your "if that's your preference":
There's countries in western/central Europe where right now noise regs have become very strict. Police sometimes uses biking events to stop bikers for measuring the noise level and when it's too much they'll give a hefty fine at least. In some countries they'll even have you remove the silencer or system and hand it over to the officer and you'll have to leave your bike on the spot and have to arrange a way of getting it home silently! There's even tracks where only a couple of days a year are allowed to have the higher noise that racers have and on all other days (so all track-days for us normal folk) your bike better has a stock or silent aftermarket exhaust as they keep measuring all day and when yours is too noisy you'll be sent home with no refund for the trackday.
So, I'm waiting for the Akrapovic with their most silent (German ABE type) muffler to become available as it's the ONLY option that will probably lead to slightly better performance and sound while still allowing me to go to more trackdays at Assen with it.

Animal (a.k.a. BiggerOne).

Animal: It's funny but noise regulations and enforcement have gone just the opposite way here in Canada. Not too long ago the noise cops stuck wires up pipes feeling for baffles and gave out expensive noise tickets with gay abandon.

Now everybody here rides loud with impunity. The worse offenders are Harley guys. Virtually all of them ride with straight through pipes (why they get off on that agricultural chugga chugga blaaaaaaat I'll never understand).

Possibly the long-term North American biker campaign "LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES" has had some effect on police thinking.

Cops will come down hard on a car or truck that's too loud, but never a bike.

DP,
That's weird indeed.
Over here it's the bikes that get all the focus regarding noise. You can get away with a loud exhaust on a car or truck no problem and the mopeds (50cc 2-strokes with exhaust noise you can sometimes hear miles away if they have them hopped-up to go faster than the legally limited 25 mph max) are almost beyond belief for their ear-piercing type of sound.

I have to agree w/ Animal that Akrapovic makes the quietest exhaust. Mine is on the way even before my 2000 blue/silver gets here. I can ship an Akrapovic exhaust for $769(US) + shipping anywhere in the US or Canada, in full Stainless Steel with a Titanium or Carbon Fiber can if anyone's interested. Oh, by the way, try to find another "exhaust-only" mod the will give you more power too. You won't be able to.

robertpmurphy@bellatlantic.com

508-208-6969

Ok. I;m goin gout on a lim here and will accept all the abuse I get for it but I actually like the sound of the stock pipes. Especially when you start to wind on the power.
Don't get me wrong. I switched from a 1976 FXWG with 2.35" straight pipes so it's not that I don't like noise. My car had straight pipes with 4.25" tips (ok I almost got arrested for that one). But for some reason I just like the note from the stock Busa ones.
The only reason I'd switch to aftermarket ones would be for look and it would have to be as close to original on noise as possible. I'd like the stock shape and size but in Carbon actually. Anyone got any????

Back