quick shifter + solenoid ???

Neophyte

Registered
I am trying to save up for a quickshifter but it might still be a while.

BUT...I have been thinking and wondering while looking at air-shifters...even more expensive yes...and in my household would be unobtainable.

Now...what I was wondering about...if a quickshifter is fitted...would a solenoid, linked to the forward tip of the shiftlever, work to do the upshifts? Basically doing what by foot would be doing instead, by putting pressure on the shiftlever for the quickshifter to detect, which cuts the engine allowing the solenoid to complete the shift?

A quick shifter is just a strain sensor that hooks in line of the shift rod. As soon as the sensor exceeds the threshold it outputs a signal to cut ignition. Or preferably ignition and fuel if using the ecu for shift kill.

I’ve put an air shifter on a bike that already had a quick shifter. You still need an air solenoid and air ram. But instead of using another harness to run the air shifter I wired the air solenoid directly to the horn button and that was it. The air ram moving caused the quick shifter to send the signal for ignition kill and overall work well. I did notice it was inconsistent at times. If the air ram didn’t return back to its normal Resting position it wouldn’t unload the strain sensor enough to activate the next kill. Not good for shift forks. I was using a really old air ram that seemed to be a little on the stuff side. Perhaps that wouldn’t be a problem on a now air ram.

Thanks for the reply. I understand the workings of the quick shifters.

My main question is, and I see I wasn't specific, is if an electric solenoid would work instead of an air ram.

Thanks for the reply. I understand the workings of the quick shifters.

My main question is, and I see I wasn't specific, is if an electric solenoid would work instead of an air ram.
That terminology isn’t correct either. A solenoid is an electronic valve used to control pneumatic or hydrolic flow.

A electric ram or linear actuator performs physical work.

yes, adding a electric ram would work. They are often much bulkier then a pneumatic ram, and more expensive.

I was referring to a car starter type solenoid which has a strong pull
You've still got to find a way to physically move the shift lever. A car starter solenoid may have the power to do the work, but not the means. All it's capable of doing is actuating something which in turn moves the shifter. Which puts you back at square one, needing to find a ram or cylinder to shift. Which is what Rob was saying.

Back