Quick question from  Newb

jaywoo

Registered
Ok, not Spacely, I just like the Jetsons. Anyway, I just picked up a 2006 'Busa yesterday. 7900 miles, and has a Micron Exhaust and custom paint that I'm not too sure about yet. Riding it today with the wife, I noticed that the speedo is off (I think). I say I think, because I didn't have anyone with us to pace me. I'm thinking there is probably a sprocket change. I bought the bike from a dealer (trade in I guess), so they didn't know a whole lot about it. I looked at the rear sprocket, and it's a 40T. Before I pull the fairing to check the front, is the front sprocket stamped with a number?? I am assuming it's probably a 16T (I did a search and saw that alot of people change that out).

Anyway, that is all. Thanks!!

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

welcome.gif
aboard!
hello.gif

The Busa's speedo is off from the factory; around 7%.

Stock gearing on the Gen 1 Busas ('99 - '07) is 40T rear, 17T front.

They probably would have gone up in the rear before the front, so what you are seeing is probably the error from the factory.

If the chain has been replaced, there may be a 16 tooth in the front. If that was the case, your speedo error could be like 13%. That would be a very noticable difference like you've described. I do agree with the above post that most people would be more likely the change the rear before the front, though.

I had my wife go out in our Mazda CX-7 (which I assume to be pretty accurate), and we did a 60mph, 70mph, and 80mph run. The Speedo on the Busa seems to only be about 3 mph off (again, assuming the CX-7 is right). All the readings were about 3mph high (73 indicated, 70 actual).

Not as bad as I thought. Thanks for the input!!

I think that color combo would look good with some black pin strips dividing the two colors at the top of the fairing and gas tank and put a black kanji decal on the fairing in the original location. The black will pull it all together.

If the speedo issue causes you concern, read up on a Speedoheeler. You can do a search on the forum for it.
It is a small calibration device that can correct for gearing and tire changes. It will even "correct" the factory errors.

I love mine.

R

Back