Quick oil question

Lucky34

Registered
Do you guys know if there are any negative side effects from switching to full synthetic oil too soon? I'm coming up on 600 miles on my Gixx 1000 and it's about time to do the first oil change. I was wondering if I should switch to synthetic or not. Any suggestions?
(yeah I know... I'm too lazy to do the search
tounge.gif
)

which brand of oil would you guys recommend? I remember hearing about Mobil 1, but then they changed it or something? Also heard good things about Castrol or Amsoil. Any thoughts?

Mobil 1 full synthetic 15w50 gold cap, used to be red cap. Walmart sells it in 5 quart jugs for $28.

I change it once in the spring (march) and once in the fall (sept). I was running 15W50 maxima maxum 4 extra in the summer and Silkolene 10W40 in the winter, but I think I might go with Silkolene year round as it runs and shifts a bit smoother.

They're both ester based sythetics, which make a bigger improvement in my Busa than the Amsoil did (PAO based).

Hope this helps!
wink.gif

Just read a test article last night reagarding Mobil 1 synthetic auto oil vs. Amsoil (5W30 I believe).  By regualrly having the oil lab-tested they concluded that the Amsoil oil itself needed to be changed 33% sooner than the Mobil 1 oil, but the oil filter needed to be changed sooner using Mobil 1.

Just .02...sorry don't have a link readily available.

You were joking when you said you wanted a quik answer on this subject RIGHT? Just use the slipery stuff. Brand weight syn. or dino what ever blows your hair back cause it dont matter.

I changed mine after 1000 miles to Amsoil 10w40. "No I didn't stretch the break-in service interval".....
all_coholic.gif
. I change mine between 3500, and 4000 now. I do the filter, every other. I know people that run the Amsoil 20w50 with no adverse effects.

I've been an Amsoil preferred customer for six years. You go to the website listed above, you pay twenty dollars a year, and buy Amsoil at wholesale. Great deal. Use Amsoil on "all" my vehicles in every capacity possible, i.e. transmissions, power steering.... Amsoil Rocks !!
super.gif

amzoil 10-40 MC in the bike and changing it 3~4K miles depending on "severity" of riding during that period. Suzuki filters.

5-20XL Amsoil in my truck with Amsoil filter ....going 7500 miles.

Anyone living near by wanting to use Amsoil (but doesn't want to pay the 8~10.00/qt.) to see if it's for them...I will buy it at wholesale ....close to 6.00/qt..... and pass that savings on to you.
West central FL people.

(Over_Easy @ Feb. 07 2007,13:50) Just read a test article last night reagarding Mobil 1 synthetic auto oil vs. Amsoil (5W30 I believe). By regualrly having the oil lab-tested they concluded that the Amsoil oil itself needed to be changed 33% sooner than the Mobil 1 oil, but the oil filter needed to be changed sooner using Mobil 1.

Just .02...sorry don't have a link readily available.
man...you have to find that article .... I googled such a comparison and it wasn't even funny ..... the first 20+ pages all were pro Amsoil .... haha

Providing it wasn't on Mobile's own site ... dig up that link!

wink.gif

Back