Quick chain question

karnage

Registered
I am buttoning everything up and finally got to pin the chain.How do I know if I actually got the pins flared out to keep the link on??It looks expanded but cant tell.

Just make sure the plates are pressed evenly. Flare out or mushrooming the rivet does not take much. Kinda hard to describe. Sorry, didnt want to leave this topic unanswered.

I noticed that there's a point when the rivet tool seems to suddenly get less resistance or seems to "give" just a bit at the point when the rivet is mushroomed perfectly.

A tool is the best way to go - and you want to ensure that the pin is centered on the rivet head... also, be very careful; it is super easy to smash a side or crack/split the rivet if you press too much.

i bought a kit off of amazon that worked great. I also used caliper to check on the mushrooming. The service manual tell you the amount it needs to be mushroomed. I just kept at it til I got the correct caliper reading.

Steve

A tool is the best way to go - and you want to ensure that the pin is centered on the rivet head... also, be very careful; it is super easy to smash a side or crack/split the rivet if you press too much.

The right tool always makes the job easier:thumbsup:

I got it to mushroom.I checked with my calipers but the battery died but I compared the 2 sides and there is definatly a difference.Still prefer a master with a clip.Easy and they have worked for years.

Back