Questions on Airbox mod, PCV, ECU flashing etc...

sandiego

Registered
Hi guys,

I have a few questions about some mods i plan on doing. I would really appreciate as much input i can get.
Ok so here is what i have done to my bike, performance vise already:
Akrapovic slipons and Xtre.

What i plan on doing right now:
1) I have already ordered the airbox mod kit from machinist, although i would like to know how many of you have already done it and are happy with the mod, since i have read mixed opinions about airbox mods(Someone on another post said a airbox mod made him loose power). so its better that i know from people who have actually done it before i cut my airbox.
2) Will i need a PCV if i do the airbox mod or you suggest the ECU flashing(whats better thats if i really have to do it).
3) If ECU flashing the which one Boost by smith or Woolich racing since price difference is 25$.
4) K&N or BMC air filter.
5) Do i need the XTRE on if i do the ECU flashing or i can take it out.

I will surely do a before and after Dyno and post the results here once i know what to do.

Near Future plan: Brocks Alienhead full exhaust unless i get a good price on my Akrapovics.

And yes i have posted this on Bking.org too but i would like to know what people here think.
thanks in advance.

I like the mod, i'm using silicone ducts tho.. it sure picked up the top end. pcv is ok, autotune sounds kool but it needs a better o2 sensor.. taking off limiters etc needs no dyno, maybe save that for when you do your pipe?

I flashed my B-King as an unrestricted Busa(Ecu Editor).
It came with 2bros slipons, I cut 3" off of the length, looks only, no hp.
I removed the valve from the midpipe(noticeable improvement in low end throttle response), and had the servo and cables removed prior to doing so, so the valve was all the way open all the time.
I have a K&N air filter and did the silicone hose airbox mod.
I later added 17/46 gearing(18/43 is stock), and I still need a speedohealer.
I will later get a gen2 Busa ful single Akropovic exhaust and a dyno tune.
If you get your ecu flashed you can get rid of the XTRE.
The stock B-King is basically a very restricted choked out Busa, so there is a lot of easily released hp hiding in there.
The few changes I mentioned above made my B-King a different bike.

I cannot comprehend the idea of loosing power from the airbox mod, especially if it's dyno tuned.
The top of the B-King's airbox is over 20% smaller than the Busa's, has no ram air, and is basically breathing through a straw; yet both engines are 100% mechanically the same. So use the Busa flash and let it breathe.
I have no regrets at all on my B-King.

You don't need the PCV unless your dyno tuner can't tune with Ecu Editor. Brocks makes good PCV base maps too. So you could flash the restrictions off in Ecu Ed, and use the PCV with Brock base map and Alien head.

009.jpg

Thank a lot sixpack577 i really appreciate this information. But just to reconfirm that i understand it correctly that if i do the airbox mod i have to get the bike tuned or Ecu flashed?
So without tuning it the bike wont react as it should just with the mod itself right.
Thanks again

Thank a lot sixpack577 i really appreciate this information. But just to reconfirm that i understand it correctly that if i do the airbox mod i have to get the bike tuned or Ecu flashed?
So without tuning it the bike wont react as it should just with the mod itself right.
Thanks again

Mine still has the stock a/f map.
No dyno tune yet, and it does not have a PC.
Bike runs and responds much better than stock.
Would a dyno tune help? Absolutely.
Does it NEED a dyno tune? Nope.

Ok so i spoke to a reputed shop here in sandiego and also spoke to someone in Brocks performance and they both said having a power commander is the better option since according to them you cannot adjust the air fuel ration on the ecu. They also said that if i do get the ecu flashed i would have to buy the bin file. I thought those were free....
So dont know what to do now i dont want to buy both.
Not sure why they prefer the power commander over the ecu flashing.

Ok so i spoke to a reputed shop here in sandiego and also spoke to someone in Brocks performance and they both said having a power commander is the better option since according to them you cannot adjust the air fuel ration on the ecu. They also said that if i do get the ecu flashed i would have to buy the bin file. I thought those were free....
So dont know what to do now i dont want to buy both.
Not sure why they prefer the power commander over the ecu flashing.

They just don't know how to tune a/f with Ecu Editor then.
Have someone flash the restrictions off in your ecu(I'll do it free).
Get a Brocks Alienhead and a PC with a Brock base map.

What year is your bike ? To my knowledge ( very limited by the way ) there is no air box mod for a Gen II. You can adjust / tune through the ECU. My understanding ( again I don't know what I'm talking about ) you can do a more exact job using a PC. Not sure if it's just easier for some tuners or they sell PC's for a living .........

What year is your bike ? To my knowledge ( very limited by the way ) there is no air box mod for a Gen II. You can adjust / tune through the ECU. My understanding ( again I don't know what I'm talking about ) you can do a more exact job using a PC. Not sure if it's just easier for some tuners or they sell PC's for a living .........

It's a B-King, there is a much needed airbox mod for them:beerchug:

To the OP, Dad is a post ho and doesn't always read the details:laugh:

Its a 2008 i think thats the only year they imported in the States. And yes i have a feeling too that they are just trying to sell their PCV for the Bking since they must be lying around since there are not that many customers for it.

Its a 2008 i think thats the only year they imported in the States. And yes i have a feeling too that they are just trying to sell their PCV for the Bking since they must be lying around since there are not that many customers for it.

It's the same PCV as used on the Busa.
08 is the only year in the U.S, 07 to 11 elsewhere.

Back