Questions before I go dyno

TurboSN95

Registered
I may be getting a custom tune for my Busa in the very near future, and had a couple questions about the power commander and tuning in general before I go.

Octane - I am running 87 octane now, do most Busa owners stick with 87 for the custom map? Or do you go to 92-93 since you are tuning it and may possibly get more power? I am not looking for max power, if that was the case I would have full exhaust and not just slip ons, not to mention other mods. I want the tune cleaned up, you can tell the bike is probably running rich, all my friends tell me the bike literally stinks when they ride behind me. More throttle response (and of course more power) would be a big plus.

Throttle body synching - I have read that this makes a big improvement in the bike, I have 4600 miles now, is that something i should do before i hit the dyno to make sure everything is up to par? I do not want to find out after I get the bike tuned that something wasn't 100% and then I need to get the bike checked again on the dyno.

Spark plugs - currently running stock plugs, should I go to Iridiums or another plug? I ran iridiums in other vehicles and seemed to notice better startup and throttle response but i'm sure it varies with different vehicles.

Power Commander - I was thinking of loading the map online for the mods that I have, which is simply RS3 slip on's, and a street BMC air filter. Is that map generally ok to run? Or are they way off? This would be just to try out before I get the tune, and to drive to the dyno.

more power commander - if I am running the power commander and for some reason the unit fails when you are riding, does it revert back to stock? or would you have to take the seat off and unplug it completely to get the bike running again?

one last power commander - if i get a custom tune, can I save that tune somehow for future use? does it depend on the tuner? Or is it saved within the power commander?

Thanks in advance!

Its a little early no coffee yet but here you go.

Yes- your map is stored on your PCIII and can be accessed via a computer and the Dynojet software

Yes- On a stock compression Busa I like the CR9EIX Iridium plugs, smooths out the throttle response but I can't vouch for any power gains but have not seen any losses.

Yes- if you are going to do a throttle body synch do so before your dyno tuning.

If the power commander fails just unplug the harness to the injectors and all is back to normal.

For slip-ons all you really need is a PCIII and a really good stock Busa map, if your just looking for better throttle response and a couple more ponies.

If you have your baffles out on your slip-ons I have a decent map for you to use.

GPW - thanks a LOT for that info! I'll have to do the throttle body synching soon then. I don't have the baffles out of my RS3's, i'll have to look into that as well, i noticed people saying there is a bolt or something in the end of the can but I didn't notice that on mine.

How much for the tune that you have?

Picking up my NGK Iridiums in a couple hours from Advanced Auto, $6.98 each, not bad cause its on the way home. Will install those tonight.

Was going to attempt the throttle body sync - looks pretty complicated for me to do.

Hey Dan, a dyno tune will help a lot even with just slip-ons, all bikes are different to varying degrees and a dyno tune will be tailored to your particular motor. Before I switched to a full system I was running slip-ons, and I saw a 10hp improvement from the dynojet map when I had it tuned. Smoothness will also be greatly increased. Also a stock air filter will flow better than the BMC street filter, something to consider before the tune.

(TurboSN95 @ Aug. 28 2007,05:13) GPW - thanks a LOT for that info!  I'll have to do the throttle body synching soon then.  I don't have the baffles out of my RS3's, i'll have to look into that as well, i noticed people saying there is a bolt or something in the end of the can but I didn't notice that on mine.  

How much for the tune that you have?
If you need a map just to get you by shoot me an email. I also have some Pipercross filters in stock, race or street for better air flow.

PM sent, thanks...  
beerchug.gif

I played with the bike a little tonight, loaded the map from Dynojet's site - the bike felt like a pig.  Put it back to stock and then turned OFF my GI-Pro..... now the bike has torque and more throttle response!!  I almost want to leave the bike alone now, but I am just hoping the bike will be that much better after the tuning, and hopefully with the GI-Pro turned on.

I also have the Yosh "Race" RS-3 bolt-ons...no baffle...straight through. I also bought a PCIII-USB from a guy who had also used it with Yosh RS-3s with a map specifically for them. I noticed it is programmed for 2 bars up from Lean on the PCIII. Don't know if that helps.

Thanks for the tip, but i'm not messing with the PCIII, i'll leave it up to the dyno guy.  
beerchug.gif
  I am going to Dyno-Solutions in Danbury CT if anyone wants to meet up.  

Last night I changed out my spark plugs to the Iridiums, immediately noticed more throttle response, my old plugs were not out of gap specs and looked ok, only 4900 miles on them.  I also made a quick highway entrance run, 1st through 3rd, last night and it felt better than ever.  But, it was somewhat cool out so i'm not saying the Iridiums gave me more power too.

Anyways, the bike is ready for the dyno... i can't wait! My only concern right now is if i leave the GI-Pro on the 5th gear map or turn it off... ??

(GPW @ Aug. 28 2007,05:00) Its a little early no coffee yet but here you go.

Yes- your map is stored on your PCIII and can be accessed via a computer and the Dynojet software

Yes- On a stock compression Busa I like the CR9EIX Iridium plugs, smooths out the throttle response but I can't vouch for any power gains but have not seen any losses.

Yes- if you are going to do a throttle body synch do so before your dyno tuning.

If the power commander fails just unplug the harness to the injectors and all is back to normal.

For slip-ons all you really need is a PCIII and a really good stock Busa map, if your just looking for better throttle response and a couple more ponies.

If you have your baffles out on your slip-ons I have a decent map for you to use.
PM me if you have any throttle body sync tools?

I'd rather not "old school" it with a mercury harness.

beerchug.gif

Back