QUESTIONS AND COMMENTS ON NEW BIKE II.

OB_valklex

Registered
Bike is fantastic; better than anything I've had. Weather finally cooperated and put some miles on the beast (100 so far). I installed the RS-3 slip-ons as commented earlier and I like them the best (I'm getting used to the not so loud sound and I like them a lot now; I hear engine and exhaust at the same volume, and it gives the bike a stealth tone; I already have ear-splitting straight pipes on my valk). I installed yesterday the ZG DB, and it is great. I put 3M tape on the bottom of a few strategic places to push it up, and it looks almost like factory (I just wonder if it will hold at 150+ mph: it is flimsy).
Here is where I need your input: I got my first and only (so far) false neutral between 5th & 6th (I pull the clutch in, stopped and shut the engine off, put it in N and took off). Anybody else experiencing that with old/new bikes? I think I got used to the silky smooth tranny and maybe I was applying less than needed force on the shifter (I have hardly used 6th at all).
The other question I have is that when I roll on in the upper gears (4th & up) to merge on the freeway, for example, I hear and feel kind of a grinding/vibration noise coming from the chain. What is it? I also noticed about 1-1/8" of chain slack, but it's within spec. Final comment, the choke lever is indeed just a fast idle lever, as somebody commented. It is just a cam off the throttle linkage that slightly opens up the throttle (you can see it with the right fairing removed).
Final question: When I removed the fairings, those stupid plastic fasteners (both holding the fairing on top against the frame and the little ones inside the fairing next to the radiator top) are a ***** to remove, and I broke 2 off trying to back off the stupid pin. Any suggestions out there other than just buying a bunch?
Thanks for your comments and enjoy your busa as I am. It is the best looking bike there is. No ifs or buts.
Good to be back. I was out of town a few days and missed the site.
JC

valklex, what color bike did you get? Sounds like you're adjusting quite nicely to it!

On the large plastic fasteners (of which I only know of the two that attach the side fairings to the frame), you must first remove the center button (using a small flat screwdriver) and then remove the outer portion. To install, reverse procedure, first insert the outer portion, then insert the center button.

On the little plastic fasteners, there's a trick to removing and installing them. To remove them, you must first press the center "shaft" IN (about 1/8", you'll hear a click), then the whole thing can be easily removed. Before you re-install, you must insert the "shaft" so that about 1/4" inch (you'll know) sticks OUT of the fastener head; place into appropriate hole and press "shaft" IN until flush (you'll hear it click). Nothing to it, really!

--Felix

[This message has been edited by coco (edited 29 December 1999).]

I think your tranny complaint will disappear with more miles. Mine is the best shifting tranny I've ever had, at 5,400 miles, and has been.

What your bike really needs is just a good break-in and that's hard in the winter. When I got mine I was able to do 600 miles in about 6-7 rides over 10 days, had the initial service done and then took it on a 2,000 mile trouble-free, exhilirating road trip.

Those plastic fasteners are very easy to deal with. For the two big ones on the pieces on either side of the gas tank, gently pry up the pin with a small screw driver.

The others have a pin that needs to be pushed in gently until it loosens. I use the same allen wrench I use on the fairing allen screws. It fits those plastic pin heads just right.

Another tip. Remove the inner fairing panel on the right side fairing, that forms part of the scoop to the radiator, before removing the outer right fairing. My dealer cracked that inner panel trying to manuever it around to get the outer off without removing it. Its easy to take off with a shorty #2 phillips screw driver for the three sheet metal-style screws. Then be sure to get the plastic pin at the radiator end of that inner panel. It attaches onto the nose fairing. I've had my fairing off and on a bunch of times now with nary a problem once I learned the right way to do it.

Thanks for the advice. I didn't know the trick on the small fasteners (I almost bled my finger pushing out the stupid pin, but I did remove both inner fairings to study the whole deal before attempting to remove the fairings with them as the owner's manual says. I think I will always remove them; even when removed, it is hard to put them in position without cracking anything. The other pin, the one on the frame, it is obvious that the pin had to be pried out, but mine stuck like hell and I marred the plastic around it, even with a cloth under it (why in the world Suzuki didn't put a &*%$@ screw instead?). I'm still waiting for the service manual to check the TPS and sychronize the bodies at 600 miles, along with the oil change. I think Suzuki has the trophy on fit and finish with this bike; it beats my ex-XX ten times over, and anything else for that matter. The only thing nobody commented on was the vibration when rolling on the gas at about 4K rpms (only feels when giving it gas, it doesn't at steady throttle).

That's just to warn you that all heck is going to break loose in a couple of seconds!!

Mine has the warning at about 4300 RPM.

At 6000 hold on and 8000 I see the light!!

I just realized that the vibration is not coming from the chain but from the engine; it vibrates noticeably around 5K rpm. I just found out one thing my ex-XX is better than the busa: engine smoothness. The honda has twin counterbalancers vs. 1 for the suzook. It's OK, but am I the only one?

Back