Questions about removing oil cooler and emissions pair system

insayne-kustomz

Registered
I've recenetly been to a motorcycle show where I got the chance to see up close one of the sickest street legal daily driven hayabusas with a claimed 440HP turbo set-up. After a long convo with the nice guy he mentionned that he removed his anti-pollution PAIR 2nd air valve assembly. He suggested doing this when using an aftermarket exhaust system. I have the side effects that require me to get these block off plates and a Power Commander. My question for this is: When removing this unit, there are a bunch of rubber hoses that lead into itself but there is one that goes up somewhere away from this unit. Where does it go and do I need to block off this point?

My second question is pretty simple. How the hell does this guy run without the oil cooler mounted below the radiator while cranking out 440HP ??? :dunno: Does anyone here run a daily driven busa without this???

These modifications got my curiosity going and I started searching the net where I found all these ''block-off'' plates for just about everything: low profile crankcase breather, thermostat, water pump, etc etc. I'm aware that some are for drag only purposes but I started thinking of how much space I would gain to run my future turbo without having that oil cooler and 2nd air valve set-up (if it truly is reliable)

Thanks to anyone that can help!

Emissions testing and pair removal will depend on local laws. You need to block off the ports where the PAIR pumps air into the exhaust.

block_off1.jpg

Yes but I wanted to have the input of someone who actually installed the kit onto their own bike. Myself, living in Montreal are not restricted by any emissions laws BUT one summer day might be 33c degrees celcius and down to 8c the same night which sometimes makes the bike run rough with a %100 stock engine set-up. But the one question I'd really like an answer to is when removing the stock oil cooler right behind the lower portion of the front wheel, can the Hayabusa still be ridden daily? Thanks guys!

Yes but I wanted to have the input of someone who actually installed the kit onto their own bike. Myself, living in Montreal are not restricted by any emissions laws BUT one summer day might be 33c degrees celcius and down to 8c the same night which sometimes makes the bike run rough with a %100 stock engine set-up. But the one question I'd really like an answer to is when removing the stock oil cooler right behind the lower portion of the front wheel, can the Hayabusa still be ridden daily? Thanks guys!

I have the pair removed on my bike with the blockoff plates. I couldn't find the picture this morning.

Can't help you with the oil cooler question. PM POWERHOUSE with a link to the thread.

pair removal is easy and worth it especially when you go to get it tuned so its tune accurately. As far as oil cooler you can do it but your cutting the oil life down drastically i would guess probably half... not something i would do since i ride alot

So for sure I will swap out the pair device for the block off plates and caps. Now, I just gotta figure out if it's worth removing the oil cooler. I wonder if I can just get a smaller cooler with heatsinks and simply relocate it somewhere else... I'll start googling this. Thanks!

So for sure I will swap out the pair device for the block off plates and caps. Now, I just gotta figure out if it's worth removing the oil cooler. I wonder if I can just get a smaller cooler with heatsinks and simply relocate it somewhere else... I'll start googling this. Thanks!

I-K: we routinely pull the oil cooler on turbo installs. There is absolutely no issue with the cooler removed, my 600 hp street bike is set up the same way. You want to install block-off plates where the original oil cooler lines went into the motor, and you MUST removed the "restrictor" that is hiding behind the oil filter. This restrictor is used in the stock configuration to divert oil to the oil cooler - since you no longer have one, remove the restrictor. When you remove the oil filter, looking straight at where it was you will see this restrictor plug at about one o'clock - take it out and toss it. Install the block off plates and you will be set.

As for the cooler, what ever turbo you go with, will have instructions on what to do with the oil cooler. It will be removed with all turbo applications. Some company's have just use a hose to loop around, and some have you totally remove it!
Talk to who ever your going to buy the turbo from.
As to your question can it be streetable, at over 400hp,, yes, but i would go with some thing around 300 for for daily driving!

As for the cooler, what ever turbo you go with, will have instructions on what to do with the oil cooler. It will be removed with all turbo applications. Some company's have just use a hose to loop around, and some have you totally remove it!
As to your question can it be streetable, at over 400hp,, yes, but i would go with some thing around 300 for for daily driving!

Hahn Racecraft turbos come with the hose that comes out of one oil cooler line and loops all the way around the motor to go right back to the other oil cooler line. A lot of sidewinder headers come with the "bypass" that comes out of one oil cooler supply line and goes right back to the return. Both of these setups are lame (IMHO) when you can just remove the restrictor and run block offs . . .

Wow. You guys couldn't have given me more detailed opinions. First of all, Frank - You driving a 600HP monster on the streets deserves a shout-out. Any pictures? And GixxerHP, thanks for your valued input too. I will be fabbing my own turbo kit including the intake manifold and headers. Not sure what turbo I will run but I'd like an eventual output of 400-475HP. This bike will also be entered in some shows too so I wanna have some good dyno numbers and ride the streets worry as worry free as possible. I'm starting to get into this hobby and I F%$KING LOVE IT!!! Frank, I just noticed you have a website which I'll be looking at as soon as I finish typing this sentence. lol. :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

I know this is an old thread but I'm still curious to know what are the pros vs the cons to removing the oil cooler? Let's just say your busa is for street riding only. Around town and zipping down the highway, no drag or cross country trips. I read on another forum that the oil cooler only cools the oil 7degrees?? Anybody on a busa done this and still riding trouble free?

I know this is an old thread but I'm still curious to know what are the pros vs the cons to removing the oil cooler? Let's just say your busa is for street riding only. Around town and zipping down the highway, no drag or cross country trips. I read on another forum that the oil cooler only cools the oil 7degrees?? Anybody on a busa done this and still riding trouble free?

Weight saving for the drag racer and space saver for the turbo guys. Street riders leave em on!

The manual says to drain the engine oil before removing the oil cooler. Is this needed? Seems like a waste of oil when just removing to install a new exhaust system.

Thanks

ive been running 2 seasons without oil an oiler cooler on my DD. so far no issues. i change my synthetic twice a year...not because i have to per oil standards, but because i assume the oil is broken down quicker.

ive been thinking about sending an oil sample to black stone labs for an oil analysis, but i always forget my mileage.

What about vacuum pipe to carbs were does that go to

Back