Questions About Front Wheel-bearings

OneTrickBusa

Registered
This is my first post. I have enjoyed reading articles within this forum & I have been able to acquire most of the answers to my questions by reading all the comments. That said, Hello to All & Thanks for an Ultra Cool Forum!

???My scenario is that I have installed wheel-bearings in my 2007 Hayabusa stock chrome front wheel & over tightened the installation tool. I do not have any clearance between the spacer & the bearings (the bearings & spacer turn as one). Brilliant, if I must say so myself:banghead:.

I have thought of attempting to drive one of the bearings outward to obtain some clearance, but this approach may compromise the bearing. I may have to resort to driving out one bearing & reinstalling a new one unless anyone has an alternative. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanx

:welcome: although :rulez: say you MUST post a picture of your bike, no matter the condition.

Sorry, I do not have an idea for your bearing problem, but some one will soon enough.

Is the bearing & the spacer suppose to turn as one, the manual indicates there is some clearance & obliviously I am not sure what it is.

Welcome to the Org!
No, it's not supposed to be tight against the spacer. Checked my other wheel and there is quite a bit of slack in the center spacer.
But usually the outer race will bottom in the wheel before it presses together tight enough to do that. Did you get the sealed side out, open side in opn both of them?

Hey HillBilly Tom,

Thanks for the greeting:beerchug:. Yes I actually got the sealed side out, open side in on both of them, but this is a newly chromed front rim & I don't know if this could effect the bearing seat. I noticed in the PDF manual I downloaded from here that there indicates that there is a clearance between the spacer & the bearings. I wasn't able to find the specific clearance, but it seems there should be some for expansion. I used the tool illustrated in the manual to install the bearings & assumed :whistle:that the bearing seats predetermined the clearance so I snugged the tool up without considering that the installer was responsible for establishing proper clearance.

Hey What's going on twotonevert,

Thanks for the welcome & by the way, love that wicked machine you have "Busa's Rock". So keep Rock'en It!:firedevil:

about all you can do is carefully drive one back out. if your careful i doubt it will be damaged. they are pretty tough. then either put it back in or get a new one and reinstall. i know thats not really what you wanted to hear but thats about your only option now.

oh yeah guys on here wont believe you really have a busa without pics :rulez:

and :welcome:

Hi Saygbye,

Unfortunately I agree with you:bowdown:. I didn't know how durable the bearings are so I was reluctant to wack them. I posted my pic to the garage, is that where I'm supposed to post it? It is a little weird:argue:1: that guys fake the Busa thing, but trust me that %$# is real, I got the nightmares to prove it. I see that everyone has a image associated with their posts like yours "Frank the Tank" how is that accomplished? Obviously, I'm a newbie:rofl:.

actually just updated mine. you just go to your settings and upload a pic to your avatar or signature. just surf around your "user cp" in the top left corner of the page and you'll find it.

BTW when you hit the bearing move around it and stay at the outter edges not the inside of the bearing(where the axle would be). or as close as possible. dont go crazy on it either.

First and formost welcome to the org!!!!

Second dont hit the bearing! Yes they are tough but they are not designed for impact. I say dont do it because if you even slightly damage the bearing housing and dont notice it you could be in for some real trouble. Picture this...rolling down the road at 65 mph and the bearing locks up due to failure. The front tire isnt going to spin if it does this and you will be in a lot of trouble then. I seem to recall a post earlier this year it happened to someone.

Bearings are cheap. i wouldnt risk it for 50 bucks ya know?

I like the idea of minimizing the impact to the bearing Saygbye & I might give it a try to see if the bearing will budge. One problem is when I shift the spacer, so far the inner race is the only area exposed. I have not been able to move the spacer any farther (pretty tight). Also, thanks for the additional info so that I can get my act together on the org.

Thanks for the welcome ViperBlueBusa:hello:.Your graphic scenario just sounds painful & the world is full of that already. I try my best to avoid it. I think I'm going to see if the bearing will move relatively easily & if it doesn't I'll just have to bite the bullet & replace it. That sounds like a decent approach, but I will side with caution & probably replace it. Thanks for the info.

I found front wheel bearings kit with seals by "All Balls" for $22.00 at the dealership (I originally bought Suzuki Parts $91.00). Has anyone had any experience with them? I have read a thread on this forum that said the "All Balls" front fork kits were terrible & I want to save some loot but also want a reputable product.

I have chromed wheels and All Balls bearings with no issues thus far. Hopefully when they prepared the wheels for chroming they didn't grind anything away where the bearing seat. Did the spacer have this issue before?

I bought the rims from a guy doing a 300 Kit & the rim is fresh from the chrome shop so I don't know. I thought the bearing seats determined the clearance vs the installer.

Back